Solution to cropping

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Cope, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I saw this site on another forum. A member was talking about cropping for 8"x10" and another member posted a link to this company.

http://croplines.com/

2. NJDJ

NJDJ

Apr 15, 2006
    Just get a Katz Eye screen..they have the crop lines and they A LOT less expensive.

3. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Greetings. Help me understand why you would do this? (spend $165 and ship your camera to have it installed!) Minor resizing and cropping in PS doesn't work?

Cheers,

-Yamo-

4. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    This solution is geared towards the opposite problem, the one where you shoot too tightly and are unable to crop your photo to an 8x10 format without cutting something relevant out of the photo. This was actually a major problem for me with my old Canon and one of the reasons I chose the D200 (the vertical orientation lines in the viewfinder can be used as a crop line for 8x10 .. it isn't perfect, but it's close).

Here's a perfect example:

[​IMG]

I love that image but it doesn't work in anything other than a 2x3 aspect ratio which happens to be the one I dislike the most.

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    The guy I got this link from is a pro, and takes a lot of pictures. In his mind (and in mine) it was well worth the expense. Even if you shoot raw and have to PP already, the extra work is time consuming and isn't a job for batch processing.

6. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Okay, that's cool. It's just, being a pro and all, I would have thought that the framing part would come with the experience or as Billy mentioned with the help of the grid display. Who knew... I'm just a beginner.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

7. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Billy,

Greetings. Nice shot... but do you think it would have worked as well if you had shot it so I could have been cropped to 8x10? Seems like the subject works best with an elongated crop. Looking at it, that's a great shot.... personally, I wouldn't change the crop.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

8. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    The crop lines in the product above do not reduce any workload at all. They do not "crop" the photo for you, they simply give you an in-viewfinder guide to making sure that you don't shoot too tightly and eliminate the possibility of cropping your photo to a 4x5 aspect ratio.

You would still need to crop to that ratio in processing before printing, this simply ensures that you will be able to do that.

9. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Thanks. Yes, it definitely would have been better to crop to an 8x10 originally. I could have always cropped it down to a 4x6 if someone wanted a print in that size, but as it is now, I am simply unable to make anything shorter than a 2x3 ratio out of it. I'm a big 8x10 and 11x14 fan myself, and this simply doesn't work for either of those.

As you have mentioned, the crop works and the crop leads the form exactly where I wanted it too .... which is exactly what I was looking at as I shot it. But the standard frames you can buy at any store are 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 and with my blunder ... 66% of those sizes won't work =)

10. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Why not just use a chinagraph pencil and draw your own on the viewfinder screen ? Doesn't need to be absolutely perfect but gives you a reminder that your subjects head/feet are getting close to being cropped.