SOLUTION: Windows XP SP2 and Nikon Software

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ken-L, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I found this in a Google search and it might be helpful for those with a problem.

This is from: "Michael Howard's Web Log
    A Simple Software Security Guy at Microsoft!"

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi again, Ken,

I don't have the AMD-64 (yet), but it sure is on my shopping list. I also heard about this problem, but didn't know this fix.

Unfortunately Nikon software - both NikonCapture and particularly NikonView - has quite some bugs and is not very stable. Did you ever try to view pictures in NikonView and go forth and back many times, including 100% views? NikonView creates dozens of .tmp files and one large one in your \Documents and Settings\yourname\Local Settings\Temp directory and eventually crashes. This happened to me on 3 different PCs and I'm already used to delete them manually (since NikonView usually forgets to delete them after a crash).

A friend of mine reported that he can't get the NikonCapture update to run on his PC - makes me think that he may have an AMD-64. :roll:

I'm sure your post will help some people out of their missery.

Regards,

3. joecolson

joecolson

Jan 28, 2005
    Cary, NC
    Ken,

Before seeing your post, I did a similar search to find a solution and came across the same thread. I rebuilt my PC over the weekend with an AMD Athlon FX-55 CPU (my first use of AMD) and discovered that Nikon Capture crashed the machine. So off I go into cyberspace to see if I had a unique problem or a common one. Seems that many are having the same problem. After making the modification to my system to disable DEP, Capture works fine.

Joe

4. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    In my previous post I mentioned that a friend had also problems running Nikon Capture. It turned out that he has a Pentium P4 CPU with Hyperthreading, which also crashes NC.

Here a remedy:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=13440909

Makes me wonder about Nikons software QA. Instead of wasting development time on a useless WB encryption, they should have done some more debugging and improve the speed.

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Hyperthreading may actually slow computation-intensive programs with well-balanced threads. Intel also points that out.

6. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I'm running Capture with DEP disabled also. I'm running a Dual 244 opteron system. I had did have a problem with installing Capture. I had an original copy of capture 4.0. When I installed it on my new machine it blue screened when I tried to run it. The resolution according to nikon was is run the 4.2 update. However the new version has a new type of registration key. I could not run the 4.0 version to register it and when I did the 4.2 update it asked for a new key to which mine did not work.
    After calling tech support and going through a series of removing and reinstalling capture in safe mode and downloading the new security software from another site it still asked me for the new key after running the 4.2 update. The tech told me to fax a copy of the registration and a copy of the recipt and they would send me a fixed copy. Sure enough 4 days later I got a cd of capture 4.2 with my original key already encoded in the software.

I can't wait to see what is resolved/new problems in the 4.3 update coming this month.
    Larry

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

oooh, a new version? I can hardly wait.....maybe it will give me an excuse to get a new system.....but I was hoping I could wait until "Longhorn" was shipping with new systems.....

8. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Ken,
    4.3 is actually out. I saw it listed on Nikons to purchase. The trial/upgrade will be available within a week from what I've read. As far as specs of what's new I haven't found any of that yet.
    Larry