Solved -New D300 - help! Shutter problems...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Butlerkid, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I've recently upgraded from my D200 to D300. I've gone through the process of customizing the D300 settings, twice. Most were similar to what I had on the D200.

SITUATION: My first shots today were taken with the D300 and 24-70 (also new) and were of a recently re-upholstered antique sofa in my entry way. There was some natural light coming through our double beveled glass entry doors.

For the first few shots I used the internal flash in both P and A mode, adjusting ISO from 400 up to 3200.

Then I tried no flash, but still using ISOs of 400 to 3200 in A priority. In A modes, I used f stops of 2.8, 3.3 or 4 - nothing smaller.

PROBLEM: In all cases, the shutter speed was VERY slow. Interestingly, @ ISO 3200 and f3.3, the exposure meter indicated 1/90 of a second. But it sounded MUCH slower. And, in fact, the photo is blurry. Typically I can hand-hold at least 1/30th! No +/- exposure or flash compensation was set. Auto ISO is off.

Tomorrow I will go outside and take a few test shots in the sun, with both the 24-70 and one of my older lenses to see if that works. Hopefully nothing is wrong with the camera and is simply some setting or ???

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  2. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Hi Karen,

just a wild guess, but did you make sure that the self timer was not engaged?

3. Are the pictures properly exposed? If the shutterspeed was supposed to be 1/90 and it shot much slower- you should have an overexposed shot. If you post a picture, with the exif data we can be of more help. Usually when my camera does something stupid- or I think it did something stupid- it is the nut behind the camera. Post a picture and we can quickly get to the bottom of this.
    Gary

4. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Karen,

Is what you are describing as slow shutter speed based on the exposure results? Preview the image on the LCD, use the Multi-Selector pad, press up (or left and right depending on how you have it set) to review the image data and histogram...what shutter speed was actually used? Is the exposure correct?

Check your Custom Settings.. you may have the Exposure Delay, and or Self Timer set on. Exposure delay will add a 0.4 second delay between the mirror moving up and the shutter curtain activation. It would "feel" like a long exposure, when in truth it is the shutter speed appropriate for the f-stop chose, if in Aperture Priority. Self-Timer, you probably know, is set on the bezel around the top panel control...where you set C-L & CH etc, with the actual time set in the Custom Settings..

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen

No - I have the mode set to single shot.

You're right...the shots ARE properly exposed. But the exposure meter is indicating a shutter of "xx" and I'm sure it's much longer than that. I realize the photos are OOF due to being wide open in addition to the shutter speed. Later today I'm going outside and test in better conditions and see if the problems to away or I can isolate the problem to the new camera, new lens, shutter speed, aperature, or ????

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Have you looked at your EXIF to see if the shutter speed that is being recorded is the same as the shutter speed you are "seeing" in the VF?

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Karen. I recently upgraded to a D300 and felt the same as you in the beginning. The shutter sound that the D300 makes does seem slower to me, but I figured that it was just how it was. Like you, my images are properly exposed. I think it's just something you have to get used to, because even on 1/2500 shutter speed, I can feel/hear a bit of lag so to speak, but it hasn't affected exposure at all. I think that in comparison to my D80, the sound is more pronounced, which may make it seem slow....

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    In ACR I see the same shutter speed that I saw in the camera viewfinder.

BUT - :eek: 

this shot is supposed to be at 1/350th, but when I depressed the shutter the viewfinder went blank for over a second!

[​IMG]

I took my D200 with the same lens and the shutter speed reflected 1/320th. The viewfinder went dark for only a split second.
    [​IMG]

Is it typical with the D300 for the viewfinder to go black for so long? Would the brand or speed of the CF card have anything to do with this?

9. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen

But does the viewfinder go black for an extended time period?

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Can you not see the EXIF data for the shots I've posted. If not, how do I do this?

For the photos above, I took my unprocessed raw files in CS3, changed image size, bit mode (16 to 8) and color space (aRGB to sRGB), and saved as JPG. Then uploaded them to SmugMug so I could link them to NikonCafe.

Thanks so very much!

11. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    No it doesn't. Sorry I am of no help.

12. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen

Michael: BLESS YOU! :Love: WOHOOOO!!

That "bugger" of a setting, D9, was ON in one of my shooting banks! That explains why the exposure was correct, even though it seemed like taking the shot took forever!

13. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks to all who read this and took the time to think about it and respond to help me find the problem.

Great news - problem solved!

Now I have no reason to keep shooting and be on the computer.
    Gotta vaccumm - UGH!

:biggrin:

14. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Wahey! :biggrin:

15. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Excellent!!

Now that you know that you have the Exp Delay option, what it feels like, what it does and where to find...here's why you might use it...

When you release the shutter, as you probably know, the first part of the capture (skipping all the gojillion things that do along with calculating the exposure) the mirror flips up out of the way so the image through the lens can project onto the sensor... then the shutter opens and closes. Pretty cool technology when you think about it.

There are many instances where the action of mirror flipping up, called "mirror slap", can cause enough of a vibration to cause a lack of sharpness in your images. Most common.. Long lens work and shutter speeds around 1/15th to 1/30th.

Setting CS D9 to On, creates a 0.4 second delay between the mirror slapping up and the shutter opening; long enough to squelch the vibration. I use it often.. when shooting macro and when shooting critical long lens work of static subjects.

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Michael:

Thanks for following up. I had actually had this turned on in my "tripod" shooting bank. :smile: But was accidently using that bank for hand held shots.

Why/when would you use exposure delay instead of mirror lock up?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2008
  17. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I bet a poll of what people in the CS and Shooting Banks set to would be interesting.. I would say 60-80% of my shooting is done from a tripod, so a dedicated bank for tripod, isn't useful for me.. Interesting though..

This is just my opinion, so mix in your own experiences... I would use Exp Delay for basic macro (shooting hand-held or from a bean bag...slow moving or perched bugs, flowers etc) and long lens work of static subjects. I would opt for Mirror Lock-Up for ultra long exposures and for when I have extension tubes or a TC on the 150mm Macro, or for when I am doing moon images or the like.

Remember, once the mirror is up you can't see through the VF. Plus it takes two presses of the shutter release to complete the capture. So you won't be using mirror lock up if your subject is moving.

I'm sue there are many other uses and probably some good suggestions... this might make a nice dedicated thread.

18. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks for your thoughts. I've never used shooting banks so thought I'd set some up. Ended up with one for "street shooting" and one for tripod. There are some really good spread sheets giving suggested settings for different situations. Have you seen them?

In the end, I'll bet the banks I set up are the same! I'm just more comfortable making changes based on what I'm shooting. With the banks, I don't think I'll be disciplined enough to know which one is active. :eek: 

The screen goes black with exp delay, that's what I didn't like. I'm bound to be moving the camera whenever the shot actually takes. With mirror lock up I'd be using a tripod and remote. There might be times when D9 would work better.

My goals are to do more macro - I now have extension tubes and a Canon D500 to play with. Then get ready for my photo trip to India in late October. Almost 4 weeks going to out of the way sites!!!!!! The lady leading it was a Reuters correspondent /photographer in Haiti and has led some Nat Geo trips. She's been to India many times.

Anyway, really nice to chat with you!

19. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

fantastic explanation.a very useful feature except when you in as hurry!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.