Some 70-200VR + 500D + TC-17EII samples

CrystallP said:
Flew said:
BTW, I too have a visual acuity problem, but still find that I can do better than the AF on macro shots.

Thanks again.
Frank,

If you have a technique, please share. I try to focus, but usually blur out before I can compose my images. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Crystall,

It is sort of funny that we are having this discussion. When I was taking these shots yesterday, my vision got so blurred that I actually stopped shooting and checked the diopter adjustment on the cam. :?

What I try to do is to move through the focus range 4 or 5 times, getting as good a judgment of the obvious OOF end points as possible, and then try to set the focus in between these extremes. It isn't that I'm seeing the focus clearly, because I'm not, but it seems to work most of the time.

Let me know if this makes sense. :wink:

Flew said:
Crystall,

It is sort of funny that we are having this discussion. When I was taking these shots yesterday, my vision got so blurred that I actually stopped shooting and checked the diopter adjustment on the cam. :?

What I try to do is to move through the focus range 4 or 5 times, getting as good a judgment of the obvious OOF end points as possible, and then try to set the focus in between these extremes. It isn't that I'm seeing the focus clearly, because I'm not, but it seems to work most of the time.

Let me know if this makes sense. :wink:
Actually it does make sense. I will try your suggestion tomorrow if I get a chance. I have located a few patches of cone flowers in some public parking lots. I am hoping a I can take a few images after rush hour.

Crystall, I do basically what Frank suggests. Start out blurred then watch some edge for sharpness, go past that, then back again, just to be sure. I only do that once or twice unless I'm not sure then I keeping repeating. Of course, with my cam, it's probably easier. I've never tried with a D70.

Sometimes I also rely on the green focus dot. I question it sometimes but haven't tested to verify its accuracy. Does the D70 have that as well?

Frank, question......

First off, these are fantastic! The one with the pollen is amazing. I have tried to get close to flowers, but have really no luck. The slightest bit of wind, and it doesn't take much, ruins the shot and that's the end of my patience. Do you have any suggestions for the wind factor? I have some lovely blooms around my house now, but the wind has been a deterrent.

Thank you :)

Re: Frank, question......

Lisa said:
First off, these are fantastic! The one with the pollen is amazing. I have tried to get close to flowers, but have really no luck. The slightest bit of wind, and it doesn't take much, ruins the shot and that's the end of my patience. Do you have any suggestions for the wind factor? I have some lovely blooms around my house now, but the wind has been a deterrent.

Thank you :)
The only hint I have for wind is to wait until it stops. :lol:

Seriously, we all have that problem, and there's really nothing you can do but wait. You just have to be patient. :wink:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom