Some 70-200VR + 500D + TC-17EII samples

Someone else here suggested adding a teleconverter to the mix when shooting with the 70-200 and the 500D, so I went out after work last evening to give this combo a try. These are not necessarily the most artistic shots, but I was very impressed by what this combo can do. Here are some samples. These were all manually focused BTW, and used the SB-800 (it was nearly dark when I shot these).

This is the tip of the little spike of flowers coming out of Variegated Liriope (what we call monkey grass ;-)). The little flower balls are only a few millimeters in diameter.
28217218-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This little flower is less than 10mm across.
28217216-O.jpg

The center stem of one of the lilies that I posted a couple of days ago:
28217225-O.jpg

The center of a New Guinea Impatiens:
28217213-O.jpg

Last but not least, a few shots of the pollen pods from the same lily that I posted previously, just a whole lot more magnification:
28217210-O.jpg

28217212-O.jpg

And you can see the individual pollen grains in this view:
28217224-O.jpg

I really want a 200mm micro (or maybe a 70-180mm), but the 70-200VR and attachments certainly gives the ability to get close. 8)

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
nice work with this combo Frank. I know you will really appreciate a 200mm if you ever get your hands on one.

Frank

Great set of pictures - my personal favourite is probably #5. I just like the multitude of colo(u)rs and beads of water on the stamen.

A 200mm micro sounds great, but I tend to be in the same camp as Paul - using a couple of telephoto's to try and keep the amount of stuff I lug around to a minimum.

I've started playing with extension tubes, the 2x or 1.4x convertors with a 500D. Get some interesting results if a little dark - but thats a different thread !

If you do get a 200 - make sure you give it a good workout and post the results here. I'm always prepared to change my mind :D

WOW very nicely done cant beleive the detail, I imagien the focusing is so small of window u have to be right on, nice belnd fo flash also, lets see soem more

Frank, I like #3 & #4. Thanks for posting these kinds of shots. I think it helps people to have a point of reference when considering options. :)

I can feel the beginnings of LLD creeping in so I must leave now. Other lenses are higher on the priority list. ;)

I am always impressed what you can do with the 500D coupled with the most excellent 70-200mm. Number 4 is my favorite as I like the colors and water drops.

Frank,

Your images are fantastic. I especially like the last four images. I feel obligated to give my 70-200 + 500D another workout! :lol: Alas, my teleconverter is still on backorder... and we leave for Niagara Falls next week! :cry: I want to give it a try in the butterfly conservatory!

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I can't believe how much I learn here from our members. I wouldn't have known about the 500D otherwise.

Paul, you are right about the DOF. I shot most of these at f/18 and the DOF was in the 1/100th's of a mm in several cases. You could actually see the in-focus area moving across the surface of the pollen pods with minute changes to the focus ring.

Jerry, I really don't want to spend the $$ for another 200mm lens, but this combo has one drawback; it has a very shallow working distance as mentioned by Dave. If you get closer than about 10 inches, or farther than about 18, it won't focus. It is my understanding that a macro (or micro) lens will focus anywhere beyond its minimum focus distance. Am I understanding that right? Another reason is the much more smooth and gradual manual focus capability built into macro lenses. With the 70-200VR, the in-out adjustment for shots like these is only a couple of degrees one way or the other. Makes getting the focus spot on very difficult.

Simon, I too am interested in extension tubes, but I have been led to believe that the lens loses AF and VR with the Kenko set. The AF isn't all that critical, but I like having the VR. Have you tried that combo, and do you lose these functions?

Kevin, you need a 70-200VR and a 200 micro. :)

Mike Mac, you are my idol when it comes to using a flash. I'm still not very accomplished with it. When in doubt, I always go check out some of your shots to see how they are supposed to look. 8)

Crystall, I can't hand hold this thing and shoot macro. To start with, my hands are not steady at all. In addition, with the razor-thin DOF, I'd never get anything in focus. Even with a tripod, I have to sort of hold my breath as I press the shutter release. :roll:

Thanks again to everyone. Please continue to provide you constructive critiques and how-to's and your ideas on the best equipment set-ups, both here in this thread, and in all of your threads. It sure helps macro noobs like me and others learn and enjoy this hobby. ;-)

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Frank
You are pretty accomplished so far! I use mirror lock up and an MC-30 remote release to insure minimal vibration when absolute detail is my objective.(this is by nature all macro work). To me the single most important thing for macro is proper alignment of the camera to your subject. This will give you all the depth of field you have available.
Some have mentioned no need for a macro when your results are this good with this combo, and there is value in what they say, BUT you are obviously intrigued by the fine details and a macro set up will allow you to explore this part of your creativity even more.

Flew said:
Kevin, you need a 70-200VR...
I'm working on this...

Flew said:
... and a 200 micro. :)
I see another macro lens in my future. :) I'm not in a hurry but like the thoughts of the 70-180 and the 200. Still looking into manual focus lenses as well.

I have to agree with something you said earlier though about the focusing mechanism of the micro lenses. They are definitely smooth and give you incredible control. Makes manual focusing fun! :)

Flew said:
Simon, I too am interested in extension tubes, but I have been led to believe that the lens loses AF and VR with the Kenko set. The AF isn't all that critical, but I like having the VR. Have you tried that combo, and do you lose these functions?

I have the sigma 20-200, not the Nikkor VR unfortunately. The Kenko tubes retain AF - albeit a lot slower - so I tend to use MF. Loss of light is compensated by using a flash - something I am still trying to get the hang of.

Rewarding stuff when it all works though.

Thanks Simon. ;-)

Kevin brings up an excellent point (he's a smart guy 8)). When you are shooting macro, you almost always focus manually. Should I be looking for a manual focus macro lens with excellent optics, great bokeh, and a smooth and precise focus ring instead of one of these high $$ AF micro lenses? I still want a lens with adequate working distance (at lease 10 - 12 inches). I don't really need a lens that I can use for medium telephoto, because I have the 70-200VR.

Suggestions? I guess I should go to Bjorn's site and see what he has to say, huh?

Frank,

I'd say you have analyzed the macro lens situation quite nicely. I am a manual focus noob and can't rely on my own visual acuity. Like I might have said earlier (memory fails me), I really like my 70-180 and you can always switch to manual mode. I take it everywhere and rely on a monopod for focusing. The other combo is just too heavy for me to use for extended periods of time. But, I will give it a try as soon as the TC17 comes in...some day. In the meantime, I will prepare a few more samples for you to whet your appetite. Sooner or later you will give in to the micro Nikkor side...LOL! :twisted: LLD strikes again!!

CrystallP said:
Frank,

I'd say you have analyzed the macro lens situation quite nicely. I am a manual focus noob and can't rely on my own visual acuity. Like I might have said earlier (memory fails me), I really like my 70-180 and you can always switch to manual mode. I take it everywhere and rely on a monopod for focusing. The other combo is just too heavy for me to use for extended periods of time. But, I will give it a try as soon as the TC17 comes in...some day. In the meantime, I will prepare a few more samples for you to whet your appetite. Sooner or later you will give in to the micro Nikkor side...LOL! :twisted: LLD strikes again!!

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. Sounds like we have both gone through the same thought processes. As to LLD and eventually owning a micro Nikkor, there is absolutely no doubt. The problem now is that the spirit is more than willing, but the pocketbook is weak. :?

BTW, I too have a visual acuity problem, but still find that I can do better than the AF on macro shots.

Thanks again.

Flew said:
BTW, I too have a visual acuity problem, but still find that I can do better than the AF on macro shots.

Thanks again.

Frank,

If you have a technique, please share. I try to focus, but usually blur out before I can compose my images. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Latest threads

Top Bottom