Some advice on lighting please

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Mart61, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    As you may have seen from earlier posts, it's my birthday soon and I want to spend some money on lighting.

Here's my problem:

I quite fancy a basic strobe set up and have been considering buying the Interfit EX150 MkII kit: http://www.interfitphotographic.com/Lighitng/Pop up pages/Pop images/EX150-mk-ii-INT182.gif

However, in truth, I seldom to never get to photograph people so it's more about product-style photography, macro work and shots of things around the house.

My question is this: Should I be looking at the studio starter kit above, or should I consider a more "constant" lighting system?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Note: The ex150 is studio gear, so I'd suggest you crosspost your request to the Studio Equipment forum. The guys and gals over there will have greater insight into this kit, any drawbacks, and possible alternatives.

It looks to be a nice kit, Martin. It seems to include all of the bits and pieces necessary to put together a home studio, and should do well for product photography... or even a person if one wanders into range. And it's a very reasonable price.

Constant lights are hot and/or underpowered. Their advantage is in cost and predictability, since you can see where the shadows fall before you shoot. But the Interfit kit seems a bargain, considering it also includes stands and light modifiers, and the monos include modeling lights.

Here's what a countryman of yours had to say about the ex150.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=511784

Now the drawback. It's a 40 lb. kit, and has to be plugged in, so it's not portable. I have a similar setup for my product photography, but my light sources are speedlights, so I can break it down and set it up anywhere... no electrical outlets required.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Many thanks for your insight Frank, and for sending me the link to the review.

You know the more I think about it, the more I think I'm gonna go for it. It does make sense eh?