Some animals

Some more from my work at the zoo all shot with the D2X and the 200-400VR with SB800 for fill except the elephant which as shot using the 28-70
Red Panda
240.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Red Panda closeup
241.jpg

Orangataun
188.jpg

Elephant Bathing
175.jpg

Giraffe
216.jpg

???
268.jpg

D

dbirdsong

Nice shots Mike, I like the picture of my sister in law (#3)

Very nice images, Mike. Did you have to do much processing with levels or were these pretty much out of the camera? The colors and sharpness are wonderful. That is a nice image of Dave's sister-in-law, but I didn't recognize her because she wasn't wearing her MooMoo for the shoot! :eek:

Spot on exposures Mike! How DO you do it? Excellent shots on their own merit too. Absolutely love that Red Panda! ok, tell me about the SB800 settings please. Diffusion cap or no? (I'm lost when it comes to that piece of equipment).

Mike your zoo shots are without peer. Very impressive, the images are clear, sharp, excellent color and well composed. The Red Panda shots are darling and I especially like the elephant. And the others, well you get the idea. :biggrin:

B

bfjr

Best Zoo shots I've seen in awhile!!!
really dig the 2nd & 3rd

Very nice Mike. I gather these were all taken with the 200-400VR? That seems to be the perfect lens for this type of shooting I think.

eng45ine said:
Very nice images, Mike. Did you have to do much processing with levels or were these pretty much out of the camera? The colors and sharpness are wonderful. That is a nice image of Dave's sister-in-law, but I didn't recognize her because she wasn't wearing her MooMoo for the shoot! :eek:

Thanks Frank
My workflow is real simple I brign into capture and apply turn in cam sharpening off and then apply a USM of 54,5/4. I did not color correction on these, in cam I shoot Adobe RGB III
I then bring into PS and crop resize and then use Fred Mirandsa D2X CSpro and adjust the opactiy layer down to between 20-30, frame and save as a jep with a size between 250-300K

Steve S said:
Spot on exposures Mike! How DO you do it? Excellent shots on their own merit too. Absolutely love that Red Panda! ok, tell me about the SB800 settings please. Diffusion cap or no? (I'm lost when it comes to that piece of equipment).
Thanks Steve, as far as teh SB800 goes I shoot with the head all the way down and shoot on FP/TTL/BL with anywhere from -.3 -1.0 EV dialed in on the flash.
I am so happy with the Panda it is one of my favorite animals at the zoo

greyflash said:
Mike your zoo shots are without peer. Very impressive, the images are clear, sharp, excellent color and well composed. The Red Panda shots are darling and I especially like the elephant. And the others, well you get the idea. :biggrin:
Thanks Gordon, I hope the art director lieks them as much as you. I really enjoy trying to capture them and making them look as natural as possible

hillrg said:
Very nice Mike. I gather these were all taken with the 200-400VR? That seems to be the perfect lens for this type of shooting I think.
Yes Rory and you are right it is a versatile lens for this type of shooting, very flexible, not the easiest right to lug around I will have soem strong shoulders soon I think! :wink:

Mike, as always very fine series the elephant is my favorite,next time take a lion for me if you would please?
While typing I remember those magnificent pictures of wolves you did early this year for me that are still your best ,only because I'm a wolve fan.

Outstanding Mike. It must be a pleasure to be able to use some shorter glass for these shots. BTW my SB-800 should arrive on Monday with the BB right behind it.

These pics are just incredibly sharp. I do not think I have ever gotten a picture ever this sharp - even after post. They jump out of the screen. Very nice.

I now give you the title "Mike-The Sharp Pic God!".

BTW-Your equipment list is what I want my equipment list to be someday.

Awesome shots Mike. I'd be willing to bet that the zoo has never seen shots like this. They are sure to be thrilled. Very, very well done. :wink:

Wow, Mike! Another outstanding animal post! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't know how you do it, but your images are definitely recognizable (and I am not talking about the framing treatment): there is something different in the texture, lighting, sharpness, clarity... I can't pinpoint it. Anyway, splendid work: the zoo people should be delighted with those.

Latest threads

Top Bottom