Some backyard birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jachang, Sep 24, 2008.

1. jachang

jachang

Jan 1, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I'm almost afraid to post these after seeing some of the amazing shots you folks get, but I'm still learning. Here's a few from my yard:

2885795309_d28f4dba09.

2886631088_c8e1521ec9.

2886631196_83bb35aeff.

2885795523_66724192de.

2. I know the feeling of posting in here when I see the quality of what others here put up.
    Love your cardinal photo!

3. LindaP

LindaP

Nov 16, 2007
    Iowa, USA
    These shots are all great! Especially like the cardinal.

4. genera

genera

Oct 6, 2005
    California
    Beautiful shots Jean and clever caption on the last one.

Welcome to the Cafe.

5. jachang

jachang

Jan 1, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thanks

TexanGuy, Linda, and Gene, thanks for the nice comments. I've been lurking here mostly, just wishing I could capture some of the beautiful shots I've seen here. I'll keep trying.

6. The third shot catches my eye. Is it a grackle? (We don't get them over here, so I can't be sure).
    I'd love to see a larger version as the composition and colours look wonderful.

Alan

7. Misled

Misled

Oct 9, 2007
    Pittsburgh Pa
    I agree with the above. The first and third are the best IMO. The third to me is a very good catch. And on a perfect blue backround, it just stands out!!!

8. jachang

jachang

Jan 1, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Thank you!

Alan and Jesse, I'm so happy that you think the photos aren't too bad! Yes, that's a grackle. I liked the way the colors played out in that one, too. I've been playing around, trying to get birds in flight, but it's so tough when all I have is little birds around here. They move so fast!

I took a trip to Rockport a couple of weeks ago, and practiced on seagulls, and I couldn't believe the difference. They just sit there in one spot in midair waiting for you to take their picture! Now I know why it's so much harder with the small songbirds!

Thanks again,

Jean

9. cre8foru

cre8foru

Dec 1, 2007
    Atlanta GA
    Nice. I like the diving Grackle.

10. Fab shot of such a common bird, you even caught the irridescence in the grackle. You caught the moment in #4, too - love the caption.

11. jachang

jachang

Jan 1, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Cre8foru and Alvin, thanks so much.

Alan, here's the larger size of the grackle. I wish I could have gotten closer, but this was squeaking the very last 300th mm out of my lens, and I had to crop some tree branches out. The very late afternoon sun helped with the color. I used an ISO of 1000 so that I could get a 1/2500 shutter.

I have a long way to go, but I'm addicted to shooting birds!

2886631196_83bb35aeff_b.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.