Some baseline pan shots and some other stuff... (Dialup beware...)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Jim Strathearn, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Well, I went out to the duck/goose pond this morning to try my hand at panning fowl in flight. Didn't have much luck but I did learn a few things:

1). 400mm really isn't all that long!

2). Ducks fly fast!

3). Standing in the shade with the sun at my back trying to get geese that are half way across the pond in the sun doesn't work. (I have a better idea of where to setup next time!)

So, I figured I'd post some baseline shots and then see if I can practice enough to get some keepers. Here's what I got today: (Both are cropped. The first one heavily and the second one just a tad...)
    D70, 80-400 VR (VR on), 400mm, f/7.1, 1/1000, on a tripod.

Any and all comments, critiques and advice are all more then welcomed!
    Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's one that I just liked. Looks like selective flash lighting, doesn't it?
    [​IMG]

Here are my obligatory GBH shots. All w/80-200 f/2.8 hand held:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't know they would swim like ducks! :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

Some goslings:
    (They love crack corn!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

You are a fast learner. These are all excellent. I'm most impressed that you were able to get such good flight shots with the 80-400VR, since it isn't AF-S.

Very well done. :smile:

3. You've got to figure out how to get closer to the birds, or you'll need a second mortgage on your house to buy longer lenses :wink:.

You're off to a good start with your 80-400VR, Jim! Birds-in-flight may be the most challenging test for both glass and technique.

4. Thanks Frank!

These in-flight shots were all long distance shots so I didn't have to track too quickly. I'll put the lens to a more rigorous test when I position myself closer to the geese.

Thanks for the comments!

5. Thanks UF!

I can get closer so I'll try that first. The second mortgage will have to be somewhat of a last (but not out of the question) resort! :biggrin:

6. Here's what I mean by getting close, Jim. This was a quick snap using my 80-200 at full zoom.

7. UF,

One of the reasons I moved across the pond is because I was initially too close and could only get parts of the birds in the frame. I moved too far away.

I like your shot. Gives me a goal to shoot for...

8. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Jim,

The Goose flight shot is great! Wait until you get one with its tounge sticking out. Those are really funny.

Nice GBH too, still my favorite bird.

Thanks for sharing.

9. Hey Jim, you've got some good shots here. I had the same thought as you when I saw the GBH floating in the water like a duck.

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice ones Jim

I've never seen a GBH in the water like a duck!!

11. Jim, these are all great shots but I'm partial to the GBH shots! I really like the quality of the 80-200, just wish it were longer! ;) Your samples illustrate well the greatness of that lens. Very interesting shots, too!