Some birds from a local pond

I was directed to some ponds near my home that I did not know existed until a month ago. Since this is within a few miles of my house I can visit often. It covers a pretty big area so I have not taken the 600 yet but rather the 200-500. Morning light is a challenge as the ponds don't have good access on the east side. So far I have seen Green Herons, Red tail hawk, Coopers hawk, American Bitterns, Osprey, a pair of Kingfishers, eight Wood Ducks, Female Hooded Mergansers, Blue Heron, Mallard Ducks, Grebes and of course Canada Geese. I have been on a quest to get a real close up of the King Fishers but have not gotten the shot yet. Anyway it is a good place to just walk around for an hour or so and get some exercise. Anyway here is a little of the variety I have managed to get so far. No special shots yet.

1. Belted Kingfish teasing me.
p3106789501-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Another shot of it with wings out.
p3104322926-6.jpg

3. Male Wood Duck swimming away fast. Dang maybe next time.
p3105615774-6.jpg

4. American Bittern fly in. Much morning fog on pond and a tad higher ISO than I wanted.
p3053295502-6.jpg

5. Blue Heron Fishing. I had to post after I gave Louie a bad time today.
p3046135132-6.jpg

6. Baby Grebe
p3046135127-6.jpg

7. Closer King Fishers backside
p3046135096-6.jpg

8. One flight shot of KF flying fast past me.
p3046135088-6.jpg

Nicely done Jim, very good set and I think you accomplished getting that KF shot. Love the inflight shot of the KF. Sure glad you posted at least one of a GBH.
Thanks Louie. You know I will keep trying until I get the one I really want. This pair sure don't let you get close. I had to post the GBH just for you!

Great series. The kingfisher in flight is a shot I’ve chased for years but unable to get. I'm glad that I can enjoy yours
Thanks. I was a little surprised that the 200-500 could focus fast enough to grab it. I am sure the good light had a lot to do with it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom