Some birds of Kauai, part 1

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hillrg, Dec 18, 2005.

1. I just spent a week in Kauai, Hawaii, with my wife, as a guest of a friend with a time share condo. Since the visit was primarily social and beach oriented, I was limited to grab shots but still managed to photograph over 20 species of birds on Kauai.

For those interested in such things, I brought my D2X, SB800, 17-55, 70-200VR, 300VR and TC17 in a mini-trekker pack. I also managed to fit a small tripod into my suitcase <grin>

These are not the greatest photos, but I thought you would be interested in seeing what is there. Most of the birds I photographed are introduced or migratory birds, but I did manage to find a few indigenous ones too. I am showing the birds in chronological order photographed ...

I have long admired the photos of egrets taken by you guys and gals in California and Florida, so I was quite pleased to see Cattle Egret all over the place in Kauai. I have shots of them hunting, sunning and flying. I didn't realize how easy you southern folks have it - you just walk up to these jaspers and blast away :biggrin:

The next bird I saw is even more common that the egrets, the Common Myna. It was introduced to Kauai in 1865 from India in an attempt to control army worms in pasture lands. When they fly their wings flash with inner white feathers.

View attachment 21113

Another bird I had not seen before is the Western Meadowlark, which was introduced to Kauai and O'ahu in 1931. Only the Kauai population has survived. This one would catch 3-4 grasshoppers in the grass and then fly up to a high branch to chow down.

View attachment 21114

The Java Sparrow was first introduced in 1865, and then again in the 1960's. It is a native of Indonesia and generally travels in small flocks. This is the only one I saw while I had my camera handy.

View attachment 21115

The Zebra Dove is everywhere on Kauai. I had one walk over my foot while I was reading on the beach. It was imported to Kauai from Malasia in 1922. This shot shows one in a more natural habitat, but most of the ones I saw were on the beach or grass around resorts.

View attachment 21116

I stopped at a wildlife refuge and saw some of the Kauai seabirds. I will show you these in my next installment.

2. Great shots Rory. I may have to get some advice when we go next year. Looks like you had a great time. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family. Best wishes for 2006 as well.

3. Best of the season to you and your family as well James. I can highly recommend Kauai. Let me know and I'll do a brain dump:smile:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful birds, documentation and gorgeous shots Rory.
    Thanks for sharing and look foward to the rest of your Vacation.

5. Interesting post Rory with the id's and histories, and great pictures.

Maritn

6. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Enjoy each one Rory

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    REally enjoyed your shots and the history behind the birds there. Esp love the Java bird!

8. Rory thanks so much what a wide variety of type of birds I have never seen, must be so coll to go to a place to see wildlife you have never seen before.
    I really liek the cattle egret and the eastern meadowlark

9. It is fun to take photos of new species in a totally different environment. I found myself wishing for about 700mm and a real tripod several times...

I could have just photographed the egrets - a lovely bird.

10. Thanks Gale. I will post more tonight.

11. I will keep up the research!

12. Thks Ben.

13. I wish I could have got closer to the Java - maybe next time...

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Rory,

I agree with all of the above posters. Excellent shots, and very interesting information on each species. Looks like a great place for a birdie shooter. :smile: