Some Blues Legends from Arkansas

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Transmit, Oct 20, 2005.

1. I've temporarily moved to Arkansas to work on the life story of Pinetop Perkins, a 92 year old Blues legend from Mississippi. One of my first photography trips here was photographing some of the performers at the Arkansas Blues and Heritage Festival (Formerly King Biscuit Festival) in Helena, Arkansas, on the Missiissippi river. Here's some shots I took with my Fuji S3 and Nikon 70-210 zoom. If you are into the Blues, these are some of the best artists around:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow - those are great! I listen to blues often and some of those names do not sound unfamiliar from our local pbs 'blues and beyond' radio show.

The style of portraiture really works here, strongly oof or monochromatic background, with sharp close crop faces. Very good for portraying expressions. You've got a lucky assignment with this. Good music AND good shooting!

3. Getting closeups during a performance isn't easy. You did a great job with these...They are a real pleasure to view!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice series. Good images

5. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I love blues music and those are great images. Thanks for sharing. Magic Slim is in Denmark quite often. He is more electric Chicago Blues.

6. Thanks for the comments folks. These were fun shots to take and having a backstage pass made getting close-ups much easier!

As for Magic Slim, I've shot some video footage of him and one or two snapshots, he's one of my favorite guitarists! The man can play. We are going to be doing his life story as well after we finish Pinetop's - I work for a video production company that specializes in Blues material. There's a chance I'll be on tour with him in Russia later this month, if so I'll be sure to get some photos.

cheers :smile:

7. Just fanstic shots and those folks make some fantastic music..Great work

8. RedFox

RedFox Guest

Nice shots, Paul. I work in the bluegrass/country field myself (don't get to hear a whole lot of blues...); I especially enjoyed your photo of "Big Eyes" Smith.

Some day when I figure out how to add my copyright to images (I'm workin' on it) and how to upload pics to this forum I will send along some concert/informal jam shots of my own. I have tens of thousands around here somewhere.

Keep sharing....your Pinetop Perkins project sounds wonderful!
    MaryE

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice images, Paul. Only thing missing is the music itself. It is wonderful how you captured their faces...some age wrinkles tell a story in themselves.