SOme Clips from Saturdays Wedding

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Jon Neely, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    As some of you know I am no photographer...Yet, took these with a borrowed D100 with my 50mm 1.4 and 105 1.8. Tell me what you think.

DSC_6759.gif

View attachment 248835

View attachment 248836

View attachment 248837

View attachment 248838

View attachment 248839

View attachment 248840

View attachment 248841

View attachment 248842

View attachment 248843

View attachment 248844

View attachment 248845

View attachment 248846

View attachment 248847

View attachment 248848

View attachment 248849

View attachment 248850

View attachment 248851

View attachment 248852

View attachment 248853

View attachment 248854

Tell me what you think, I was just the DJ for the wedding and I showed up with this camera so I had to just try it out.

Comments Welcome!

Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2008
  2. I like the black and whites quite a bit and some of the funky tilted shots you took are pretty cool too.

3. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    Thank you sir. much obliged.

Jon

4. Quite a few of them look out of focus - one of them has the guys ears in focus but not his face . I think it is mainly due to the wide aperture . When you have a few people in the picture it is best to use smaller apertures to have them all in focus because the average person immediately thinks there is something wrong with your camera if their friends in the background are out of focus . Keep wide aperures for single subjects and then be sure of your focus point .

5. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    got ya, or some reason when shooting with my 105 with the d100, its hard to adjust/get correct focus. but yes almost all shots where shot at wide open. I will in the future shot t more 3.5 or 2.8 to get a little more DOF. I hope the VF on the D2x is larger than the d100's. I hope you liked them other than that :)

Jon

6. I like the "moments" [ memories ] you caught and wouldn't claim to be a better photographer , I've just had a bit of experience and read a lot of comments on wedding photos . I've done a few but have much to learn still .
    The one thing I have learned is that shallow dof looks great but if there is someone else in the picture you get comments like " see , my 8 meg compact is better because everyone is in focus !" and everyone looks at you and wants to know why your expensive camera can't do that .
    I know that's an extreme example but there are some photographers who go with the "F8 and be there" idea , get it all in focus and make sure you capture the memories . F1.4 can look stunning and have everyone gasping when done properly , but not with a group shot so use it carefully .
    I don't like relying on pp but you could always blur a photo later ,you can't recover lost detail in an important shot though .
    It's good to just be on the sidelines though , you can play to yuor hearts content and not be 'accountable' for any bad shots :smile:

7. Jon....
    i think that you did well here and the folks will be happy with these

one thing.....
    if you could add 2-3 line spaces between each image.... they would be easier to view
    thanks for the thread

8. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    thanks for he comments, spaces have been added!

Jon

9. rocksgirl

rocksgirl Guest

The whole series is great.

10. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    Thanks Chrisy, glad you liked them.

Jon

11. Your composition is great, but the focus is off on most of them.

12. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    yah, sorry about the focus, Ill work on that, me and my manual lenses. thanks for the comment though!

Jon