Some details from Saint Peters abbey

After the overview, some more attention to details :)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
#1, 3, 4 7 and 9 are standouts!!!!! Superb compositions. In #1 consider cropping out the chandelier that pulls the eye toward the brights and detracts from the sculpture. In #9 consider cropping at the base of the vase. Again the bright candles pull the eye away from the subject. Great work as always!

Really appreciated, Al, Jeff, Karen, Ken and Dossy!
Thanks!

I'll see if I can't work around the lights, Karen.

Fine set Bart :D
Super shots. 3, 5 and 11 are my favorites. Jeff
#1, 3, 4 7 and 9 are standouts!!!!! Superb compositions. In #1 consider cropping out the chandelier that pulls the eye toward the brights and detracts from the sculpture. In #9 consider cropping at the base of the vase. Again the bright candles pull the eye away from the subject. Great work as always!
All are wonderful, but the last one (11) is stunning ... well done!!

Ken
Beautiful series, Bart! I think my favorites are #4, #8, and #11. I also love the wall shadows in #10.

As I expected, I couldn't crop out the chandelier in #1 because that would mean giving up other items I wanted to keep in.
So, I did some work on the lights of the chandelier with the correction brush and and the luminance mask.
I had no issues with cropping #9, keeping the ratios constant.
I've updated #1 & #9 with the new versions.
(at least, I tried. Not sure if this works now that linked images are converted to stored images on the sites server).

As for #1, I was thinking a change to a 1:1 ratio would probably result in an interesting view as well.

I must confess I don't have this issue with something drawing the attention away from the subject. I tend to be "fixated" on what I - instinctively - consider the subject.
As a result, I probably neglect to search for potentially distracting elements.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
As I expected, I couldn't crop out the chandelier in #1 because that would mean giving up other items I wanted to keep in.
So, I did some work on the lights of the chandelier with the correction brush and and the luminance mask.
I had no issues with cropping #9, keeping the ratios constant.
I've updated #1 & #9 with the new versions.
(at least, I tried. Not sure if this works now that linked images are converted to stored images on the sites server).

As for #1, I was thinking a change to a 1:1 ratio would probably result in an interesting view as well.

View attachment 1634191

I must confess I don't have this issue with something drawing the attention away from the subject. I tend to be "fixated" on what I - instinctively - consider the subject.
As a result, I probably neglect to search for potentially distracting elements.
I appreciate you experimenting with image #1. It is such a dramatic image! Very well done! Did you consider a 9:16 crop? I think that crop would retain the depth and character of the large cathedral....and still be an extremely strong image with the statue looking toward the interior of the cathedral.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Lovely set of pictures.

I have a question to ask. Did you use a tripod for these shots, they are just so sharp?

I do a lot of this stuff in dark old Italian monuments. I have been using an Olympus EM5 for this sort of shot because I can work at 1/15 using IBIS and still get sharp shots. I have had less success hand holding my D810 with VR

The 1:1 crop is interested and has a completely different feel from the original. Both are good, depending on what you want to show. I kind of like the original perspective slightly more.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom