1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some Ducks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by tomj, Apr 2, 2007.

1. tomj

tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Oklahoma
    I took a trip to Salt Plains NWR yesterday hoping to see a few whooping cranes which are rumoured to stop here on their trip back up to Canada. I know they stop on their migration south, but that's usually in November.

I didn't see any whoopers but I did see a sandhill crane which by itself which is odd. It landed in some tall grass and even after an hour wait, I never saw it again. I wasn't quick enough to get a shot off before it landed.

I did see some ducks though and I did manage a few decent shots.

All shot with Nikkor 500mm f/4 P (manual focus)

original.
    NIKON D200    ---    500mm    f/4.0    1/1250s    ISO 100

original.
    NIKON D200    ---    500mm    f/4.0    1/800s    ISO 100

original.

original.

original.

2. Wow! Great shots Tom.

3. Timeout

Timeout

May 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Tom, you sure did good with that manual focusing. I had to shoot manual the other week (was shooting BIF's partially into the sun which gave the AF tracking a tough time) and with a mere 300mm + 1.4 TC, I had lots of trouble getting any keepers, so can appreciate your effort with that 500.

Really like #1 & #2. Especially on #2, it's cool seeing that razor line sharp area of focus (dof). :smile:

4. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Very nice Tom. The transition to flight in numbers 1 & 2 are fantastic.

5. ejg220

ejg220 Guest

Blue-winged teals.

Nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.