Some eagle education

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, May 31, 2007.

1. Just a few photos (9 in all) on how banding is done here in N.Y. In the case of this tree hooks (Climbers strapped to legs) are not used on this tree, as it is a deciduous tree. (One that sheds it’s leaves) and the hook punctures would over time kills it or damages it. So Pete Nye is about to climb like a rock climber would and hoist your way up.
    These are some really good angles I was able to get on Pete, as I am almost looking right into the nest with him.
    Lou

1 The climb
    523293261_980ba939e4_o.

523293277_b1723eda6d_o.

2. 3
    523293289_a86fe63c66_o.

523293417_c07a45f9e0_o.

523293433_a707bd7601_o.

523293443_cf55779bfc_o.

7 A New York View, not always skyscrapers but just sky and mountains
    523294863_7270c400df_o.

3. 8 Two more for New York and the USA
    523294867_161bbf7ec5_o.

9 Where the great American bird comes from.
    523294855_87dc8e71e5_o.

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Great series. Thanks for sharing.

5. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    great series well done

6. Thanks Rex. I am one of the lucky ones that after retireing (July, 1,1985) I was able to hook up with our Endangered Species Unit of the DEC here in New York so besides watching over our nests in one area I get to do special assignments like this banding trip. The photos are all used for education at presentations given by the DEC to help people understand the needs of the american eagle.
    Lou

7. Thanks Lowolf, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I just was out on Tuesday doing a different one. Much harder terrian for photographs but a beautiful spot just to be. Sometimes I just like to be a part of it and will lay the camera down.
    Lou

8. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    As always Lou, very interesting. Thank you!

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Fantastic
    Those babies are a hand full for sure. Not as small as one would think:>))
    NIce work Pete. Thank You

Lou,great pics and,thank You

10. Your most welcom Andy and thank you.
    Lou

11. That's not an easy task, and so nice to hear they're mindful of deciduous trees and their health. Those 'babies' are a hefty size and good sized beaks as well. I'm sure there are plenty of stories amongst the banders to tell around a campfire at night. Thanks for sharing this experience with us all, nice to learn.

12. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Awesome series, a perspective not normally seen. Thanks for sharing.

Larz

13. Yes Gale they are for sure. However Pete has climbed over 800 trees here in N.Y, Canada, Alaska and Main and has handeled many birds under many conditions. He is proberly one of the top experts on eagles in the USA and we all wonder what will happen to the laws when people like Pete are gone and there is not a replacement with the guts to do what he has done bringing the eagle back to the lower 48. Some reading on his work on my web called Still Soaring. www.loubuscher.com Thanks for the look.
    Lou

14. AISBLE

AISBLE

Nov 29, 2006
    RI
    Excellent work Lou, it's nice to see there are people who are willing to do this type of work to help keep our wildlife around.
    Just one question, what does he do if mommy and daddy happen to show up while he's banding the babies?:eek:

15. Thanks Sandi, Well the young eaglets are banded at about 5 to 6 weeks of age and their beak and talons are just about full size so yes blood is drawn on quite a few bandings and not from the eaglets.:rolleyes: On several occassions last year we did take blood from young eaglets for testing for lead and mercury and these birds had to be at least 8 weeks old and lowered to the ground. Now an 8 week old getting it into a bag to lower is a job all by its self and once on the gound it takes 3 people to get the blood. I have a series of photos on this so maybe I can do a slide show on it.
    Lou

16. Hi Larz and thanks for the look. I hope you got something out of the post as that is the main purpose of it. Not so much th quality of the photos but the quality of showing people how to understand the eagles needs to survive.
    www.loubuscher.com
    Lou

17. Hi Tony and thanks for looking in. Well Mom and Dad useally do show up (sometimes they are in the nest bowl or on the edge) most of the time and some are more agressive than others but never have I seen one attack the bander. Most of them pass close and holler but they are kind of used to it by now as many of these parents have been doing this job for quite a while. Believe me the real danger is those little guys in the nest bowl as they have full size beak and talons but not the strgenth to really do a job on you like an adult can but they do draw blood quite often. Most danger from grown eagles is trapping for health or banding and transmitter placement for tracking migration north. This requires skill in handeling large raptors.
    Lou