Some early observations

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Eye Spy, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

Yes, of course the image quality is great, what did you think?

The matrix meter seems way better than the D300. That could be a result of having more dynamic range available, who knows.

Files definitely do not need as much sharpening. Someone mentioned that they read that the AA filter wasn't as strong as the D3/300. If that's the reason so be it but the effect is pretty dramatic.

I have NR turned off in camera. Results at 1600 and 3200 are fine left alone. When I add 15% NR using NX2 the result is totally unbelieveable! All trace of noise eliminated and no loss of detail....way to go NX2!

2. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Less sharpening makes me mucho happy! Is NX the only PP tool you use? I'm
    wondering specifically how LightRoom (ACR) handles the files...

3. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

Used PS for ages, but I've become an NX2 convert...never got into LR. I hate the way ACR ignores your in camera setting.

4. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    I have the same issue with ACR, but I've started using ViewNX to convert my sorted nefs to tif for use in Adobe. I love the way LightRoom does everything EXCEPT sharpen. It's not that it doesn't do a good job, it's just not as good as it should be. I then save my original nefs to an archival file on an external drive (after they've been cataloged via LR). Not the most efficient system, but the tif conversion allows me to keep my camera settings.

5. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

Oh, one other thing about the D700. The focusing motor has about 10 more horsepower! The first lens I put on it was the 50/1.4. When I hit the shutter release my fingers were brushing against the focus ring on the lens...when the thing took off I nearly broke a nail!

6. Steinar

Steinar

Aug 16, 2007
    Denmark
    Very happy for this. :Love: Thank you - even it can cost me some money:biggrin:

7. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

I think sales of this camera are going to be in two waves. The initial buyers that we see now, and then once the camera gets out and seen there will be a huge second wave as others realize they want/need it too.

8. So you are saying that ultimately even I will lust for one too?:eek: :eek: 

BTW--3 days, 3 avatars!!!:biggrin:

9. I noticed that too. :tongue:

BTW - where are high iso portrait samples!!!

10. You forget the wave of those who already know they want one but need some time to save the money to get one... :Money::cool: 

11. Agree.

12. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

this is great news...talkin to some that got in on the beta development and now what you're experiencing, gotta say, this NX sounds like the FUNK:cool: 

ya baby ...sounds like my first go with the f5 and 50 1.8. i was afraid that little lens was guna BLOW-UP ..lol
    :biggrin:

13. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

I just can't decide...it's my perogative isn't it?

14. Absolutely! That way we get to learn more about you!

15. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

By the looks of yours, you are in the witness protection program!

16. keko

keko

Jul 20, 2007
    Barcelona
    Would you mind posting a RAW file somewhere to play with?

You got me intrigued with the sharpness and the low noise...

How's the color rendition? Same as D300/D3?

17. Jonathan

Jonathan

Jun 11, 2005
    Southern Maine
    Good one!

Yep, and the current one is a good one:biggrin::wink:

18. Eye Spy

Eye Spy Guest

These are literally my first two clicks. Sitting on the sofa I shot the messy surroundings at ISO 3200
    [​IMG]

I twisted aound and shot through a dirty window at ISO 1600
    [​IMG]

And here is a shot of the back of my home theater at 1600(and it was dark back there)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  19. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    Wow - gorgeous melon. In the kitchen, that is :) 

20. If this is messy, well, then you can come clean my house! :wink:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.