1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some EXIF information now automatically displayed below forum images if available

Discussion in 'Site Information, Help, and Feedback' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Administrator

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    The forum software has been modified to automatically include some EXIF information below forum images as long as those images have associated EXIF information intact. Example:

exif.

Please note that many online hosting companies will automatically strip EXIF information. For example, if you hotlinked an image from Flickr which was resized by Flickr, then Flickr will remove the EXIF info, so we cannot show it.

I will soon add an option under user preferences to hide the EXIF information in the forums for those who would rather not see it. I'll update this thread when that option is in place.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Great. Thanks.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    EXCELLENT! Valuable update!

4. Just to clarify, that new information is being displayed for images that were previously posted, not just newly posted images. Great job, Amin!

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Excellent -- thank you

6. Oh, this is cool, Amin! Quite a few times in the past I've looked at someone's image and if they haven't already said in their post what the settings were I'd think, "gee, I wonder what the EXIF is, I'd like to know what the aperture [or focal length, ISO or shutter speed] he or she used...." It can be a valuable and useful learning tool and also a way of assessing a camera or lens one is thinking about buying, too. Thanks, Amin, I think this is a feature many of us will appreciate!!

7. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    There is now an option under account preferences to disable this display EXIF information for those who would like to do so.

8. Based on a thread that I started, the EXIF information is displayed in the center of the window. If you want your image to be displayed also in the center, place center in between left and right brackets immediately before the image. If you display text in your post after the image, place /center also in between left and right brackets immediately after the image. Otherwise, you don't need to bother placing it.

9. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Another way to do it is to highlight the part that you want centered, then click on the Align button and choose "Align Center".

align.

10. Based on my one try, that understandably doesn't work when editing a post and when you don't want to bother deleting the image and reinserting it. Perhaps I didn't do it properly.

11. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    I just tried editing a post, and it worked for me, as long as I could see that the image was highlighted. For example, the text and first image are highlighted below. When I used the alignment button, I was able to center both.

edit.

12. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    Just to clarify, you'd put whatever you want to center inside center tags like this:

PHP:
    [CENTER]Image and/or text that you want to center[/CENTER]

13. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    If you want to make it easy to see where you are putting the code, switch to the BBcode editor using this button:

button.

And that shows you the BBcode version of your post. When you are done, you can switch back to the Rich Text (WYSIWYG) version of the post editor.

bbcode.

14. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    If you want the EXIF to come across from Flickr, choose the "Original" size. Flickr only removes the EXIF from the smaller versions. If the original size is greater than 1600px across, our forum software will resize it automatically while preserving the associated EXIF information.

flickr.

15. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    There are a couple bugs to be fixed:

1) Some shutter speeds are being shown as non-reduced fractions, eg 10/2000s instead of 1/200s

2) When there is no lens info, the software is instead showing the make of the camera.

Example where there is lens info in EXIF:

lensf.
    Example where there is no lens info in EXIF:

nolensf.

16. Amin Sabet

Feb 25, 2017
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Amin
    These should be fixed now.

17. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks!

18. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    Great idea

19. crazy

crazy

Feb 5, 2009
    NC
    Excellent!

20. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Wonderful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.