Some Feathered Friends

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Desert Rat, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Got around to processing a few birdie shots taken within the last 10 days. Here are a few.

The first two are of Egrets in nice golden light fishing and the colors on the water were quite nice..

The rest were shot yesterday afternoon with Helmet (Brett) at the SJWC.

I really need some help or tips on BIF shooting.. Most of the shots are on the soft side. i.e. I try and get the eyes in sharp focus, but does not work out most of the time...

Comments and Critiques always welcome Good or Bad.. :biggrin:

Play del Rey area

Looking at its Reflection?
    Found Something to Snack on...
    View attachment 19666

From the SJWC
    Lovely Pelican Reflection
    View attachment 19667

Few of the BIF shots from yesterday. Brett you missed all the Pelicans coming into that pond later in the afternoon. :biggrin:

Egret Getting Wing Clipped
    View attachment 19668

BCNH Flaps Up!!
    View attachment 19669

2. Looking good Eric. Your comments RE: BIFs, my web research has led me to believe the incredible quality of the D2X is difficult to get used to and get sharp images out of. A fellow cafe member posted some of his findings regarding his D2X setup and the issues of the images looking soft...try a search for d2x and long lens technique...

Not sure if you're looking for critiquing but some of the Egrets are a little hot...the BCNH is an a great example of how these guys pop in and out of the reeds - I have a similar one that I would like to process and post later today.

One question: do you shoot auto ISO?

3. The highlights were not blinking on the LCD in camera for blown out highlights.. I believe it is my PP skills of RAW conversion.. I am going to order the Ron Reznick book tomorrow...

Some of the shots are in focus for flight shots and some are not... Today went to Sepulveda to try it out again with some different ideas.. Not the greatest day you know...

Nope do not use the auto ISO setting on the camera...

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Eric again good stuff ......... they look good to me
    Next time we shoot together, anything I can do to help (what little I know) more then willing to hash it out.

One thing BIF's ain't suppose to be easy and buddy they ain't! :biggrin:

I have a really big trash can cause I need it !! :eek:

5. thanks for the help Ben

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Eric,

I can tell you what I do to try to get BIF's in the best focus. I shoot for their neck / shoulder intersection. This seems to give the best centered DOF, is better from a composition standpoint (doesn't cut off the legs / tail as many times), and gives the AF system a good area of contrast.

What AF setting are you using (the switch on the back of the cam)?

7. I think part of my problem is the birdies are not big enough in the viewfinder.. Sometimes they are spot on in a focus bracket, but if they move out of the bracket then they are inbetween brackets and lose focus.

I have things set to the second from the bottom focus setting.. Dynamic AF.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just love the gold and bronze color. Beautiful.
    Good shots.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Your setting is the one that I haven't used much. I usually use either single (center) sensor (the bottom setting), or the third one up (I think it's called group dynamic). I use single sensor when shooting against busy backgrounds, and the third one up when shooting against water or sky.

What is your Lock-On setting (I think that it is a4)? I have mine set to Off (which means do not disable Lock-On). That seems to help the cam stay focused when tracking a moving bird. If I turn that On (which means to disable Lock-On), I immediately lose focus lock if I get off of the target.

10. thanks Gale..

11. Are you sure about A4 I thought if you turn on A4 then it is enabled and not disabled?
    I have A4 turned on.. I will have to check the book again to review that setting though... i.e. what it means for each one...

I was using Dynamic AF based on Ben and Daves suggestions... I have been getting much better results when I use my 70-200VR and converters compared to the 300/f4 not the AF-S version...
    ===================================================

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    No I'm not sure, and I don't have my cam in from of me. The main thing is, that it works much better for me when Lock-On is enabled. :smile:

13. Well, I Iwll check the manual when I get home and see what they say.. I guess I was reading things wrong then...

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    No, no, no, I didn't mean that you were wrong. I meant that I couldn't remember. :wink:

15. I will look at the manual tonight when I get home and we can then both know what is wat.. I have no idea... I just thought that if it was on it was active and not disables...

16. Ok Frank here is the skinny on A4 Focus tracking with lockon

On (Default) Camera waits before adjusting focus when distance to subject changes abruptly. Prevents camera from refocusing when subject is briefly obscured by objects passing through frame

Off Camera immediately adjusts focus when distance to subject changes abruptly. Use when photographing series of subjects at varying distances in quick succession