Some first d70 shots

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by biggstr6, Dec 10, 2005.

1. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    these are some of the first shots I took with my D70 ,I was new to digital & no one told me the d70 wasnt fast enough for sports.

THese are heavily cropped , because I only had a 70-200 & not very good access.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Great quality pan shots! If these are just your first ones, I predict you'll have a ball with your D70.

4. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Thanks for the kind words Paul.

THese were taken at a very nice track in Va. . They have classic sportscar races there a couple times a year, Not a goodwood or anything ,but still fun.

I do love the older sportscars.

I was actually joking about the d70 not being fast enough for sports. I think its funny to hear people say things like that, what did they do before motor drives and afs?

5. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Thanks Frits

I do have fun with my d70 ,although it doesnt get near as much use as it used to now that ive moved up. It will probably go to my daughter when she gets a little more responsible , being as the resale value is so cheap.

6. excellent Biggs! where is this track?
    Dave

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellint images.
    All of what Paul has said.
    Keep up the good work.

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Hi DAve ,

THis VIR ( Va. Int'L Raceway) . Its just outside of Danville.

Its a great track , in a beautiful setting with something for the whole family .
    Heres mine saying Hi.

[​IMG]
    Even camping in the infield .

We ought to get together and go sometime.

Heres a few more to get you intrested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and these guys really do race these cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Biggs, you must be joking - how can you put up such terrific stuff without a proper soundtrack accompanying the pics. Man, get a D2X and turn on the mike just when the cars roar by, and let us have some sound.:smile:

Let's get serious - this is top notch. Great pan shots, too.

10. Biggs, my hat's off to ya! Anyone who can get results like that panning has my respect.

11. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

You should have heeded the warning about the D70....your pictures prove how poorly it does with speed..... lol
    Your EXIF shows you were only at 1/160" - that make these shots even more incredible.

I can't even use all the capabilities the D70 has, so maybe I need a better camera that will do it for me......

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Those are some of the best racing pictures I have ever seen...

13. Great job on these, I've tried to shoot motor sports and it's not easy. The colors look particularly vibrant and good. Looks like you're off to a good start with the D70.

14. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Wow ,very nice panning shots!!!.
    D70&VR70-200 are very good combination.

15. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

16. Having lived across the freeway in Pleasanton I never made it to the track. Now I see what I was missing. Thanks for sharing these shots with us.

17. Okay, out with it! How does one pan a shot like that?

Very nice work and yes, I'd love to hear the technique.

18. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Beezle , Im no expert , but this is what was told to me.
    Bend your knees, twist at the hip , follow the subject ,squeeze the shutter like a rifle,dont punch it, and continue to follow thru. Of course you need a slower than usual shutter speed.

I probably should have tried some of these a little slower , maybe 1/125.

19. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Biggs your tongue must be sore from pushing your cheek out!:smile:

I really enjoyed your images, I suppose it helps if occasionally we don't know 'the rules' and just get on with what we enjoy. Well done.:wink:

20. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Uh-Oh....if I bend at the knees and twist at the hip and follow thru I'll probably fall down.... :redface:

Again, great shots and technique....