Some Flower

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by confused, May 20, 2005.

1. Well, comments? I took this the other day while walking around town.
    This is my first post with a picture! yay! :D

[​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good shot, I played with it a bit to brighten it up

Hi Elliot! Welcome to the Cafe. Hope you don't mind, but I adjusted the Levels in PS, then USM'd (Sharpened) it a bit more. Is this a little more of what it looked like? Which camera/lens did you use for this?

original.

3. Don't mind at all! Matter of fact, somebody else I showed adjusted it too.

I usually shoot on auto on my d70 and it always underexposes all of my flower photos. Always. I took it with the standard kit lense that came with the d70, the 18-70mm.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Elliott,

Nice image, but you have to remember that the metering on these cams will bring the entire shot down to the meter (about 120 out of 255). In this case, the overall scene was pretty even with the exception of the flower. A boost in EV comp of about a third or half stop was probably called for in this case.

I do like what Steve did. It shows the shot's potential.

In any case, good first post. If my first had been just a third underexposed, I would have been very proud. ;-)

5. Nice images Elliott, the increase in EV did help the overall look of the flower. It is a pretty flower.

6. I feel kind of naive asking but what is EV? I couldn't figure it out from your post.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Playing with flower :>))

I just had to have a little play with this pretty little flower.

Still to much of a green cast though. Levels, Curves, black and white point.
    Ran a midnight black action on it and lowerd the opacity of the action a bit,

Hope you don't mind.

8. Of course I don't mind. You guys are great here and I love to hear feedback and there is no place else like this.

That looks pretty cool!

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Elliott,

Never feel naive at the Cafe. That's why were are here. EV stands for Exposure Value and is the adjustment that you make by pressing the little +/- button and rotating the rear command dial (at least on the D70 and D2H that's where it is).

Here is a link to the DPR page giving an nice overview on the subject:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Exposure/Exposure_01.htm

Hope this helps.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks Elliott,

Glad you like it.

I am a newbie also. Great learning place here.

We all had to start with the first camera and the first image.

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    One simple suggestion Elliot, get out of Auto

At least when you go to Program mode, you're able to make some adjustments, including + or - EV Compensation, where in Auto you can't change anything at all, the camera makes all the decisions, and sometimes, they're not the right ones!

And Gail, your renditon looks great! What's this Midnight Black Action, and what's it supposed to do? Oh, ya, and where can I get it? ;)

12. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Now this is what this Cafe is all about - learning and sharing! Nice adjustments to the photo -- wish I had time to learn all the features of PS like many of you appear to have mastered. Maybe I need to spend less time taking photos and more time learning the software -- NOT!! It's too much fun taking the photos, but it is starting to get really hot here, so maybe this summer.

13. Thanks all, I tried it out on my camera! The little +/- button....

+=brighter
    -=darker

I think I can remember that. I next time I shoot flower I will raise it a bit! Thanks for that!