Some flowers, from filoli gardens

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by obelix, May 14, 2005.

1. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Of course they don't allow tripods :(

Working without a tripod is like driving a hummer on one wheel, doing manual focus with eyeglasses on a camera like D70 is like driving a hummer on one wheel, blindfolded.

Anyhoo, here are my humble attempts. Many attempts were spoiled by the aforesaid reasons and lack of shot discipline :(

And, sorry folks, can't even think of names for these :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ron Chapman

Ron Chapman Guest

Tripod

Too bad you didn't have a tripod! Perhaps you should try some more without. Very Nice!

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    yeah, boo hoo hoo

what are you talking about?...I think the are FABULOUS!!!!! #2 and #7 are superb...thanks so much for sharing...i can only imagine how great they would be if you'd had a tripod.

4. You should be a one wheel driver as you have it down to a science. Good images.

5. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks all. I have posted more images in the landscape / cityscape forum :).

These are nowhere close to critical sharpness. I would have loved to use a tripod, slow down a lot more and compose carefully :(.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Looks good to me.

Tough shooting hand held for me. Thats why I HAVE TO HAVE VR VR VR :>)))

7. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Gale :). To me, it is more about precise focusing than speed, at least for photos like these in broad sunlight.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous Anand. I know what you mean about hand-held though. My hands are so shaky, I couldn't even come close to these.

Doesn't look like it hurt you much, if at all on these.

9. WHOA, I really like these!! :D :D :D

10. That's why I wear contacts :wink:

#1 - Great shot. Love the contrast with the background, clean composition. If I had to nitpick, it'd be the uneven background. But that's only nitpicking.

#2 - Nice detail and excellent exposure but I'm uncomfortable with the distance. Felt it could've either been closer or pulled farther back.

#3 - Now that's interesting.

#4 & #5 - Sorry, the wood isn't working for me.

#6 - A little too close. Good detail but subject-wise it's not all that interesting.

#7 - Love the perspective, almost like it's glowing. Push it away a tad from center and you have a winner.

#8 - Very clean.

Great set!

11. obelix

obelix

Mar 17, 2005
    Fremont, CA, USA
    Thanks Frank, Bryan, Mike.

Mike - you definitely have got the hang of flower photography, I need to work on that.