Some Football from Monmouth NJ

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Sep 30, 2008.

1. I shot the action day from Monmouth NJ Sunday, these folks take there football seriously. Started out with a flag football game at 8:00 followed by 6 football games, it was dark and drearly and misty for flag and they day stayed pretty much overcast all day. It is so much nice shooting in overcast than sun when dealign with any sport that has helmets.
    All with the d300 and the 300 2.8 with 1.4 except the flag whcih was with the d3 and the 300 2.8 with 1.4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. awesome Mike...interesting you still did +0.33 EV...

that look of determination in #5 is great, and the twinge of "oh no" in #3....

BTW, your copyright still says 2007 in your EXIF....

3. Another well presented lesson in overcoming unfavorable conditions, love the eyes in No. 10.

4. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Great shots, all of them but especially #10.

5. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    The Benchmark for all of us.

Simply amazing.

6. Thanks fro the heads up on the copyright, I up the Ev a third of a stop to make sure the faces got exposed right
    Thanks Brooks this kid looked like he saw a ghost
    Thanks
    Thanks so much

7. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Sweet looking shots Mike... Maybe try the B/W treatment on #9 to get that Unitas look?

8. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Have to agree...all are outstanding shots, but #10 is special to me, because of the eye expression. Captured perfectly.

9. hanks Jeff that kids eyes looked liek they were goign to pop out of his head
    I will go back and give that a try thanks for looking tim
    Thanks you I see you are enjoying your new toy

10. Incredible series. Hard to pick a favorite. I love #6. Thanks, as always, for sharing!

11. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    I took a closer look at your photos, and I see your EV settings changed between the two photos I looked at, 1 and 10. Did you do that in camera, or in PP?

12. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Hard to pick a favorite Mike you nailed these

13. Thanks Mark it was a fun day
    I ocnstantly am adjusting EV to twek the exposure. I use auto ISO and manual exposure and as a fine tune depending on lighting I dial in positive and negative EV as I go. From shooting under a lot of condtions I sort of have a pretty good idea wht my startign point is but then us ethe lcd and histogram and EV to fine tune
    Thank you for looking

14. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    Thanks for the info. I kind of thought you might be doing that. The LCD screen on my pair of D2H bodies just isn’t good enough to adjust the EV accurately, specially in bright conditions, tho I have done it successfully a few times. I’ve started using the histogram recently, but not sure how to tweak settings using histogram. Probably need to read up on that. I used my D200 for a soccer game this week just for the heck of it, first time with D200 and sports. Today is the day I plan on ordering a D300. From reading all the D300 sports threads, and asking questions, I decided the D300 along with the grip, might be a step up from my D2H bodies for now. Still not convinced on FX, so I’ll wrestle with the cost of a D3 till the price of a used one comes down under $3k.