Some friends I met on the river

Did a 23 mile stretch on the North Platte yesterday and got to try out my new photography kayak. This one is a 27" wide very stable boat, much different from my other long and narrow performance boats.

I quickly gained a healthy respect for those folks at the Cafe that regularly turn in beautiful captures from their kayaks... it ain't easy! I blew highlights right and left, jumped the VR, missed focus a gazillion times, used too slow shutter speeds, and... well, you get it :eek:

And the bureau opened the reservoirs a bit so instead of my anticipated 3 mph drift I was going along at 5.1 mph. That made things interesting!

I've much to learn yet doing this from a boat on a river but I did manage a few that weren't toal washouts. All taken with the 70-300 VR:

Dignified observer of the kingdom:
p800471624-5.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Wing stretch on a cold 37 F morning:
p637379854-4.jpg

Hot and soft - get a new photographer!:
p542749818-4.jpg

A natural model:
p600800057-5.jpg

Bump the SS, dummy!:
View attachment 221051

Can you hear me now?:
View attachment 221052

Once around the park, please:
p744799460-4.jpg

And finally, a critter of my persuasion and it doesn't fly!:
View attachment 221054

The rest of the gallery is here - no snickering allowed!:http://holmes.zenfolio.com/p446731309

Going to add flash fill in the future and set my EC function to the wheel only - two button adjustment just isn't fast enough on the river. Gotta remember to mash that camera to the face, really makes a difference in a kayak.

Trials and tribulations of an amateur :biggrin:

R

Ron S

Man what a variety, great shots, love that first eagle one especially!

C

Cameron

From a kayak, wow.
Really nice shots. I have a hard enough time on dry land. :tongue:

Excellent - I would be too worried about being on water to worry about shooting!! LOL

Love the dragonfly!

The best kind of friends to have ,, great shots ....

Thank you, it was a great way to spend a Sunday morning.

Man what a variety, great shots, love that first eagle one especially!

Thanks. I saw more eagles on this trip than any previous venture this year. Couldn't come up with an otter to save my life though!

From a kayak, wow.
Really nice shots. I have a hard enough time on dry land. :tongue:

Thank you. I'm pleased for a first time effort but there's some really impressive kayak shooters here at the Cafe and they've set the bar rather high!

Excellent - I would be too worried about being on water to worry about shooting!! LOL

Love the dragonfly!

Thanks. It was a concern and I continually caught myself armholding the camera when turning at extreme angles. Got a lot of softies doing that! Gotta remember to keep it mashed to the face :smile:

That was the only dragonfly I could get close enough to! It rode with me on and off for a few miles.

Great set.

Thank you, Louis. You'll probably spot the substitutions since I originally posted the thread. I re-worked the images a bit trying to improve them with suggestions from some folks over at FM.

Latest threads

Top Bottom