Some from Peru

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by rexv, Jun 20, 2007.

1. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    I'm new to the Cafe and like the feel of it.

In late April I went on a photo tour to Peru which really stimulated my tired old photo eyes, so I thought I might share a few with anyone interested in seeing them.

BTW, the tour leader was Reed Hoffmann, one of the Nikon School of Photography instructors, whom I had met at a school a couple of months earlier. He's a great inspirer and teacher for anyone who might ever think about going on a tour with him.

I was having some difficulty posting from zenfolio.com, but Patrick on the Cafe staff came to my rescue, so here they are:

At sunset on Lake Sandoval in the Amazon Basin east of the Andes Mountains.
    p185759584-3.

The main plaza in Cuzco on Sunday afternoon.
    p19301329-3.

Stopped by the side of the road we found farm children who didn't know what to think about us -- or were intimidated by nine large cameras in their faces!
    p262982385-3.

My goal achieved! To see Machu Picchu at sunrise (or at all!).
    p62780673-3.

Cuzco woman
    p401042015-3.

Posted later: He tugs at your heart strings.
    p656827366-4.

If you're so inclined you may see others at my zenfolio.com gallery:

http://rexv.zenfolio.com/p7943923/

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. Sancho

Sancho

May 21, 2007
    Arkansas & Belize
    I enjoyed your photos from Peru.
    Always love the laidback ways of the people of S. America.

3. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Thanks, Sancho for taking a look.

I found the Peruvians to be friendly, gentle and enterprising. Felt quite comfortable everywhere but Lima.

4. very nice pics, sounds like a lot of fun...maybe someday for me.

What was the issue w/ Peru?

5. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Chris --

The issue with Lima is the extremely high crime rate and the insecurity one feels. We were advised by our hotel staff not to walk to a nice restaurant for dinner because the route went thru a park where robbers hang out. Armed guards are everywhere -- in front of nice hotels, ATMs (which are nearly all enclosed), better retail stores, etc. At Aguas Calientes, near Machu Picchu, we met a couple from Australia who upon arriving in Lima for the first day of their 4 month vacation had wandered into the above mentioned park in daylight unawares and had been robbed of money, airplane tickets, watches, passports -- everything but their clothes! Bottom line: theft is to be expected in Lima. Hope that's not too harsh a commentary.

6. Beautiful pictures. That's been my dream trip of a lifetime. But I don't think I'll ever get to go. I really envy you. It's a shame it's so unsafe for foriegn travelers.

7. I've got to tell you this is one of the nicest collections of imagesI have viewed in some time. I look at a ton of online images. What a great trip and Reed must have been a great leader as well. I look forward to more of your work.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful
    I just let the slide show run
    Gorgeous ..what else to say

Love the tinny
    bird on the toe of the statue:>))))

9. Outstanding gallery of images!

10. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Thanks, Chris C and Dave --

for the nice compliments. I guess you noticed that I was having trouble posting photos. Patrick Bramlett on the Cafe staff came to my rescue, so I posted a few in my first post to make good on the time he spent helping me out.

Thanks, Patrick! This is a friendly site!

11. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Welcome to the Cafe. Very nice photos! I enjoyed them very much.

12. asaya

asaya Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Just a glorious collection of images love the one of the lady in the sweater next to the Fatima Sign

I Just met Reed two weeks ago at a Nikon School he seems like a great guy lots of energy and talent.

Thanks for the wonderful serioes

13. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Thanks, guys! Glad someone else here knows Reed Hoffmann. Your assessment of him, Tony, is right on.

14. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    great pictures! The first is my favorite.

15. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

excellent series, very professional looking. A little color tweaking on several would really make them pop.

16. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Guest

I hate just posting 'great shots', but... oh, wow... those are some amazing shots in that gallery!! simply gorgeous

How on earth did you get those great saturated skies with the 12-24? I thought polarizers were ineffective on such wide zoom (i.e. not even across the sky).

Again - amazing shots - hope to someday get the chance to be there, too!

17. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

:cool:Great gallery and commentary. I haven't been to Peru for about 12 years. Although I didn't get to Machu Pichu (others in my group did) my wife and I were thoroughly entertained by some locals (radio personalities) who were our hosts and showed us some local night time activities. I found Lima the same as you with the added excitement of Tupa Amaru threats. My amazement was the "machine gun" nests on every corner.
    Other than photography did you instructor give you any other advantages (experience in the area, benefits as far as avoiding tourist areas, etc.)
    www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

18. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Hey, I'm open to suggestions! Or, feel free to tweek 'em.

I have noticed that some look a bit darker or muddier here than when viewing them from the original file on my monitor.

Thanks!

19. Arif

Arif Guest

Very Nice pictures! Also enjoyed the ones on your web site, I must admit it made me want to go there so thank you ;)

20. rexv

rexv

Jun 19, 2007
    Amarillo, TX
    Thanks, JeepTJ. I got the saturated skies with and without a polarizer. Mainly, I followed Reed Hoffmann's instruction -- expose for the sky and shoot in Aperture mode at about 6.3, exposure comp at -.3 (or adjust as necessary to minimize flashing highlights). Once or twice he and I disagreed whether to use a polarizer or not, but when I showed him the result he was quick to agree to do it. The picture is the thing you're after! And, I was also pretty lucky!!