Some from Sunday

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I got these last Sunday, but haven't had a chance to post them. All taken with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC, and shot right at sundown in the golden light.

The weird thing about these shots is that I knew that the geese were about to fly, and I almost ran to get in position to shoot. I got there in plenty of time, but when I set the tripod down, one of the legs was loose. I almost dropped the cam. :|

In any case, I got these while being the third tripod leg. 8) What a fiasco!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Frank

2. They are all good but the last one is a classic. That one could easily be a wall hanger. Well done Frank

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome shots!

Believe me when I tell you, I had a tripod leg collapse on me too. Since then, I periodically check them for tightness in the field. I guess this happens cause we don't want to crank down the collars too tight. Nice saves Frank, and I'm with Gordon, that last 1 is excellent!

4. Nice going Frank!! It appears his wing is hitting the water in your last shot!! :) :) :) :)

5. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    nice shots... i too love the last one!

at least these are "G" rated! tee hee hee!!!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Leigh. I didn't even see the uh, 'problem' in my other pic. It was someone we both know well that pointed it out to me.... :lol:

Regards,

Frank

7. Hey there Frank, the last one is a wall hanger clear background tack sharp great light and the wingtip hitting the water just fantastic

8. Frank those are great! The first two have an erie 3-D quality about them. Nice bokeh on the first, especially.

Rich

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks everyone for the nice comments. With regard to the background, I know that I should have cloned out the light pole and whatever else that is, but I was lucky just to get these processed and posted. Been very busy at work this week.

As for the bokeh, I tried something that I don't normally do on these. Since it was getting very late in the day, I opened the aperture up to almost the max (4.0 on the 300 2.8 with the 1.4 TC), so that I could maintain a decent shutter speed without boosting the ISO too much. It means that the pictures can be less sharp due to the reduced DOF, but does give great OOF backgrounds. ;-) I think these were shot between f4 and f5.

Regards,

Frank

10. These look terrific, I'm with the rest of the bunch, the last one is the best... can you give us a 100% crop of where the wing feather touches the water, can't see a ripple but then again, at the reduced size....
    Incredible flying machines, aren't they! Ours look a lot worse than that after their long journey back, feathers rumpled, very old and bedraggled look to them but these guys are very sleek and healthy. Look like young adults. Great captures, Frank.
    Cheers, S

11. The last one is definately frame worthy...I think I might have to get myself a new lens :) Do you remember the iso Frank?

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Sandi,

I'll see if I can post a crop tonight. Since I shoot so many of these guys, a wing drag (or near wing drag as the case may be....;-)) is not that unusual. The reason that these guys look so young and healthy is probably because they do nothing but sit around the duck pond all day begging for hand-outs. They are mostly fat and lazy. :roll:

Eric,

I think it was ISO 400, but it might have been 500. I'll have to check the .NEF's tonight when I get home. I'll let you know.

Frank

13. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots, Frank. You didn't tell me about that little shot of excitement in your Sunday afternoon. :wink:

They're all really nice but I love shot #4.

14. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm so depressed that I have missed going to the pond with you lately. I haven't taken a single picture in weeks. I'm having withdrawls!

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Patrick,

We'll make it up in the morning.... :lol: Can't wait to meet Greg.

BTW, I'm about to post some shots from today and yesterday. Check 'em out. 8)

See you at 7:00.

Frank

16. some fine shots Frank. I like the 1st and 4th the best. The others had busier backgrounds.

Good shots

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Real nice action sequence Frank, and I agree - that #4 is superb!