Some GBH Shots From Viera

I'm posting these here instead of the Merritt II forum because, after taking several thousand GBH shots, and never seeing this behavior, I caught one similar to Jim Fenton's. I suspect that he was just warming up in the morning sun.

Show with the D2H / 300mm 2.8 + TC-17EII.

The 'flasher':
24239831-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Another view of the same guy:
24239836-O.jpg

A couple of another in full mating plumage:
24239842-O.jpg

A tighter view of the 2nd guy:
24239852-O.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful shots Frank!!! I like the first and last ones the best (showing the behaviour) but they're all great. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful Frank

These are just stunning pictures. Could there be GBH's in Idaho. I think I might have seen one last summer in the Sawtooth Mountain area. If they are here, they certainly aren't common.

What lens do you use to take these wonderful pictures?

We went to a place on Saturday I bet you would love. It is called Harriman State Park (I posted a few landscape pictures in the Landscape forum). There were several hikes in the area that were banned right now because it was nesting season. The Silver Lake area was so amazing with all the waterfowl there. I don't have a setup to take bird pictures so I didn't get any. If you ever get to the Yellowstone Park area be sure and make a side trip to Harriman State Park in Idaho.

Nice shots, Frank! The GBH that hangs around the pond behind my home does the flashing routine often in the late afternoon sun (which means his back is to me, so I can't get the shot I want) and spends a lot of time in the trees around the pond. He seems to prefer the trees with large dead branches and sometimes roosts there overnight. It's always great to catch them in the trees! Nice series.

the first one isn't so unusual. I do the same thing every morning. Just wouldn't even think about giving Frank a shot. At least this guy had some modesty.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

To Terri, I suspect that there are Great Blue Herons everywhere. I've lived in Huntsville for almost 40 years, and I never saw one before I started shooting birdies. Turns out that they are very common in our area, as illustrated by the pics that Greg and Patrick got Saturday before last. I'd be real surprised if you didn't have them also.

Frank, this is a very interesting pose. While we have many here in Washington, I have yet to see one in this pose. I will keep my eyes out for this. Very nice shots Frank.

Latest threads

Top Bottom