Some GBH shots....

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    While I was out shooting the Coots last Saturday (and hoping for more), this guy (gal??) just flew into my field of view, and made a complete 360 degree turn right in front of me.

I'm lucky that I didn't just fall over, and I got a couple of decent shots off. :wink:

These have been cropped some, in most cases just enough to frame the bird a little better than the original. All taken with the D2H / 300mm f/2.8 + TC-17EII.

Your comments and critiques on composition, exposure, processing or other factors are greatly appreciated. I want to get to be good at this.... :mrgreen:

Here he (she?) comes into the frame:
    [​IMG]

Passing directly in front:
    [​IMG]

Starting the turn:
    [​IMG]

Headed this way:
    [​IMG]

Passing by the *other* way:
    [​IMG]

There s/he goes:
    [​IMG]

Say bye, bye:
    [​IMG]

BTW, the originals look much better to me than these reduced size shots, but I'm trying to comply with the Café 800 pixel limit.... :roll: You can see them here on page 6 (and the previous page):

http://flew.smugmug.com/gallery/263042/6/15417003

Regards,

Frank

2. first you bribe eagles, now you have performing GBH's.

I gotta come to Alabama I guess.

3. Frank,

Really nice tracking. It is hard to keep them in the frame that long, especially when they went around you! How did you keep from hitting the sun?

See you in 10 days,
    Bob

4. Bob,

His birds are trained. they dont move, just maintain a pose. Believe me, I've seen it in action. :D

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob,

I was not clear. :oops:

He did the 360 in front of me, not around me.... :) I actually got about a dozen shots off as he flew by, turned towards me, then flew by again and then over to the pylons that you can see in the background.

Pretty lucky I would say.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

6. This is really neat Frank. What a great capture, it makes me envious that I don't even have the opportunity to do this.

7. Frank, do you use AF-C for this kind of series? Do you think the AF system kept up, or was it predictive focus?

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Frank,

Yes, I use AF-C. I think that the AF system kept up although I can't be positive of this. I have a habit of stabbing at the AF-On button (where I have my AF activation) while tracking birds like this, so I may have just done repeated acquires.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive answer. :(

Frank

9. Simply amazing,

wow what great crisp shots I think Harris paid that guy to dive bomb you. Look forward to meeting you real soon