Some Girls Lax-I think I got it down

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Snipps, May 12, 2007.

1. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I think I may have figured it out!

494953834_db10516bed_o.

494953824_78ef6cbb63_o.

494987627_09681ad424_o.

494981398_2f81f1d970_o.

494953818_3c28125978_o.

494953852_7ad86cd098_o.

495000145_eaaf93a87a_o.

2. no arguments here :)

3. Good work on these Andrew!
    Dave

4. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

they look a tad soft but i think the color's look nice and saturated....1,6,7 may have a bit to much black but that's just nit-picking ... you did really good here.... and you know what ? ... im so freaking jelous you can shoot lax.... the season has been over for 6 weeks here and im going through withdrawls or something here..... only thing going on here is baseball :frown:

5. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    Thanks guys. Topher I'm not a fan of over sharpening so these are good for me in that sense. We are nearing the end of the season, my HS(white) won the league with this win so they are onto the playoffs, and so will the guys. I can't wait for some good action trying out my NEW 300 2.8 AF-S I! Which is what I shot this game with, with a 1.4x converter

6. Look good I am still struggling with the best way to isolate the players but I sure do enjoy watching the sport

7. Larty

Larty

Apr 12, 2007
    U.S.A.
    Andrew,

Great pics. Mind sharing your shooting setup?
    Shutter or Aperture priority?
    Dynamic or Group Dynamic? Which setting in Group Dyn?
    Small or Wide focus point?

THANKS!!!
    Jimmy

8. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Yes, yes you do. :smile:

9. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I was shooting in Aperture mode, f/4.5 mostly.
    Im not even sure what AF point mode I use, but I think its dynamic.
    I'm not sure what you mean by wide focus point(I didn't know there was such a thing) but I use a single AF point and change it using the pad on the back, btu I shoot 90% vertical and I use the 2nd highest af point(when in vertical) most of the time.

10. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just a tad soft as Topher mentioned. I am not a fan of sharpening much in post-production either. Best to get it sharp out of the camera. Next tiem you have a chance to practice, make sure your AF points are all active then manually select the one that will best enable you to place the af point right on the primary subject's face. Obviously depends o whether you have the camera vertical or horizontal and whether the action is moving left or right. Takes a bit of getting used to but becomes easier with time to move that thumb. More importantly, wait those extra few milliseconds for the AF to kick in and do its thing. It feels like ages in sports but waiting gets you sharper pictures. If you are only shooting for the paper or for web sue then no worries since no one will know the images are soft.

11. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    Maybe my 1.4 is making them soft? I will try a game without it and compare the results.

12. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice action in these But--
    They all look soft (sorry)and way to much saturation IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2007
  13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I think that the composition of each image is good, you should be very pleased with these results. I also tend to think that each is a tad too saturated and I also agree that each is soft....but none to a fault. They are your shots and you reserve the right to adjust to your own taste. I'd be surprised to learn that the TC is causing the soft images, but I am interested to learn your thoughts once you shoot without.

14. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I did not edit these at all except for a little USM, the saturation is good for me but not overdone IMO especially considering i didn't add any at all.I do agree that they are a little soft but not as soft as you are making it seem, Mark, by capitalizing it.

15. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Snipps
    Your Exif data states
    # Contrast = normal (0)
    # Saturation = high (2)
    # Sharpness = hard (2)
    Perhaps turn the on camera saturation off as well as sharpness, just a thought
    Oh and sorry for the cap's it has been edited

16. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I thought I had saturation at normal? ;)

Will take it down a notch next time, thanks.