Some help from a new friend

Discussion in 'People' started by Terri French, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I posted some of my daughter's engagement photos yesterday. Today I got an offer from Dan White to work on a couple of them. I sent him the NEF's. The results he sent back to me were so nice. He also sent the steps that he used to achieve the results. I'm not as skilled as him, but I gave one of the photos a try using his steps the best I knew how. Here is the result.

I would love to know what you think of it. Did I do too much? How much to blur the skin is something I am not too sure about.

Also--a public thank you to Dan.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  2. Now that looks good :smile:

3. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Terri,

No problem at all, thats what we are all here for. The critiques and help I have gotten here on the forum have made me a MUCH better photographer.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2005
  4. Well, as I see it on my monitor, this seems to be just perfect. Do you intend to print it ? Then the results may differ somehow, but it's gorgeous as it is right now.

5. Really nice image Terri. Just right on the DOF, color and sharpness.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Dan :

I'd be interested in learning about those actions as well, if you could. TIA.

John P.

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
  8. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Terri :

Very very nice work - there's always something to learn from folks here at the Cafe...

... and it didn't hurt that your daughter and future S-I-L are lovely young people as well.

John P.

9. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Terri, These look very nice. Nice color saturation, Skin tones look good DOF is right on. Great job.

Dan

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I so appreciate your help and encouragement. I've got some at Sam's club for printing right now. We'll see if the results are better than I got before.

I sure have had fun working on these.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Since many have asked, I will do a small tutorial on what I did to post process one of the images that Terri sent me(With Terri's permission of course). Look for it in about a day or 2 in the retouching section.

Thanks,
    Dan

13. Those are some real nice shots Terri! Very well executed. My only criticism is that the guy has the EXACT same face in every photo (he seems a bit stiff and unanimated, but only evident when you look at the series of photos). Maybe some way to make him loosen up a bit and vary his expression?

14. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Please share your information with everyone, Dan. You are very nice to do this.

15. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Here is one where he is laughing a bit. He is pretty quiet and reserved, but a lot of fun once you get to know him. Get him on a basketball court or on a waterski and a whole different side comes out.

Next time we go out, we'll have to see if we can get him to lighten up a bit. He has trouble with squinting his eyes. I think he was concentrating so hard on keeping his eyes open, that he had trouble smiling.

He is a keeper--that's for sure. We just love him.

16. Are the two days over yet.... Who said i have no patience!!!

Would be nice to see your small tutorial in the retouching section allways nice to learn more.

Thanks Terri for sharing your results allready and thanks to Dan for his time and efforts to help others out.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

17. these are outstanding. The sharing of knowledge and information is what makes this a group I can not go a whole day without. Kudos to Dan here.
    Great looking shots Terri.
    Dave

18. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Tutorial

The step by step toutorial is up in the retouching section !

Dan

19. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Terri,

Those look great. Very impressive and professional quality. Congratulations on both ends.

20. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Dan's tutorial

Dan has put together a wonderful tutorial on the steps to achieve this look. Be sure to check it out in the retouching section.

Again, thank you Dan.