Some herding ants, from today!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by misupix, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Found this herding ants today. They act pretty fierce when protecting their plant louses.

original.

Shot with Sigma 105 2.8EX and TC1.4 with SB800, windy conditions :wink:

Please feel free to critic!

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They do have a fierce look don't they..

They love thoses aphids. I have watched them.. Interesting to watch nature.

Good capture.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Michael,

Nice shot. How big are these guys?

4. It was shot with my Sigma 105 + TC1.4 wich would deliver a frame hight of approx. 11-12mm. Wasn`t shoot at full magnification so the hight of this frame was approx. 14mm.

Unfortunately it wasn't absolutely in Focus (wind!) but came out nice enought!

5. What a great nature shot Michael. Good job.

6. Nice Job, Michael. I didn't know the 1.4 TC would work with the Sigma 105 lens. Did you have to do anything special to make this happen? Was it the Nikon TC?

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Magnification

Thanks Virginia,

I used the Kenko 1.4x TC (without any specials), I don't know if the Nikon TC would work,too. I'm very happy with the Kenko, it works well with all my lenses!

I recently made a quick comparison to check the max. magnifications with all my lenses when using all my magnification gadgets.

In case someone is interested all data is the height of the captured frame (Sensor is 15,5mm high!):

Sigma 105 f2.8 EX: 15 mm
    Sigma 105 f2.8 EX + TC1.4x (Kenko): 11 mm
    Sigma 105 f2.8 EX + TC1.4x (Kenko) + Canon 500D: 9 mm (the AF gets a little confused here, MF is a must)
    Nikkor 70-200f2.8 VR + Canon 500D: 26 mm
    Nikkor 70-200f2.8 VR + TC1.4x + Canon 500D: 19 mm

BTW
    Note it was a quick setup taking pictures of a millimeter scale, so not all measurements may be 100% correct (give or take +-1mm)

:wink: :wink: :wink:

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good info. Thanks Michael. :wink:

9. Thanks, Mike, this info is really useful!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera