1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some High Key Shots

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Miguel, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    I recently met a performer and he asked me to do a photo shoot for him. This was basically my first time doing high key with the white background. I used one light on the background in a 24x32" softbox and the main light was in a 36x48" softbox. I would have used two light on the background, but there just wasn't enough room. The ceiling was a little low so I couldn't get the main light as high as I wanted, but I think it still work out.

The background light was set to f/11 and main light to f/8. Shot with the D2x/24-70, ISO 100, f/8 and 1/160sec.

NIKON D2X    ---    55mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 100

NIKON D2X    ---    24mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 100

NIKON D2X    ---    58mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 100

2. I really like the composition in #2. Good work!

3. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thanks Johnny. That shot was his idea. His idea was to take a picture of himself with his iPhone, then hold it out and I take a picture of him holding the phone out so you could see the picture he had just taken on the phone's display. It didn't work, because the display wasn't bright enough. So I told him to hold his arm out like he was holding the iPhone and I would take the picture so that it looked like he took it himself. Then we would put this picture inside of the one with him holding the phone.

4. The shots are interesting as there is definitely a white background, but the subject is lit almost low-key, without the usual washed out look typical of high-key shots. Nevertheless, they are nice.

5. Looking good Miguel!! I really like #'s 1 and 3. #2 may have been better if he had his glasses on. The puffiness under his eyes takes away from the great composition/lighting of the photo. Maybe you could edit out the bags under his eyes.

6. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Miguel -- this is excellent work. Your PP looks great & the thin black border adds to the effect. Cool!

Best Regards,

7. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thanks for commenting.

Hey Keith, thanks. I see what you mean about #2. Usually I don't do to much touch up work on men, but you're right, it would look better if I fixed that.

Hey John, I appreciate the compliment. Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

8. not a fan of high key but you did a good job with it

9. mdruiz

mdruiz

Feb 18, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I like it..very Daddy Yankeeish

10. Miguel

Miguel

May 12, 2006
    Norwalk, CT
    Thank you Laura.

Thanks Mike. I think this kid has something and hopefully he'll be successful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.