Some Hot Air Balloons

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by JeffKohn, Aug 28, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I actually managed to drag myself out of bed when the alarm clock went off at 5:00 AM Saturday morning and drove down to Johnson Space Center for the Ballunar Liftoff Festival. Got to meet a few other photogs and had a pretty good time despite the humidity. Here are a few shots, the rest are in this gallery: http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/ballunar

As always comments/critiques/feedback welcome. Click the image to get the PBase page with shooting info.

original.

original.

original.

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Nice captures, Jeff. Getting up very early in the morning is easily tolerated when you go home with such nice images. I shot some balloons around the 4th of July and really enjoyed myself. I found their preparation to be very interesting which also made for some great photography for me. You were quite lucky to be among so many balloons that launched, where in my case, only about 10 launched. I'm heading to your Pbase gallery to view the rest. Thanks for posting.

3. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    I love hot air balloons. You had alot to shoot,Last weekend were I went they only had about 4 or 5 and only two of them started from where we were, they others just flew over or landed.

I agree with frank ,you can get some good shots of them getting ready.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Saturday morning was a target-drop competition. The balloons took off from a few miles away, and flew over with the goal of getting as close to that space shuttle balloon as possible to drop a marker. The one who got closest won a prize I think. There were a couple that took off from where we were but the field was roped off so you couldn't get all that close and the few shots I got weren't terribly interesting. Some people who went to the balloon glow the night before got some interesting shots, the whole field was full of balloons that lit up for the glow.

5. Wow, I love those photos. So colorful!

I had my first hot air balloon ride about 2 weeks ago in Cairns, Australia. Had to get up 4am in the morning and it's very chilly at the lauch site. I agree with Frank that the preparation of the lauch was very interesting. The flight was wonderful, and we had a good time helping to pack aftetrwards. Man, those balloons and baskets(for 20 passengers) were huge and it was a good exercise before breakfast.

Again, wonderful captures. Thanks.

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Phil. I bet that was quite an experience to go up in a balloon, I'd love to do that some day.

7. papa85

papa85 Guest

Love to be able shoot Ballons someday I will have to put it on my List of things to do. Very nice captures...

8. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice shots Jeff.. I always look forward to being able to photograph them when ever I can.
    Some day I hope to take a ride in one, but I could buy another SB800 for what the ride cost :mad:

9. Very colorful series of shots. You gotta love balloon festivals.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks Tony, Dave, and Gordon.

This was my first time shooting hot air balloons, it was pretty fun. Will definitely try again next year, maybe catch the balloon glow in the evening as well.

11. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shots, Jeff! I had planned to go there also (even though it's over an hour away from my home) but got diverted by calls from my kids evacuating the New Orleans area. Now that I've seen your shots, I'll make sure to mark the calendar to watch for next year's festival. Thanks for posting! Now I know what I missed! Again, very nice shots!

12. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

The glows are very cool. This is a picture from the Michigan Challenge this past June.
    [​IMG]