Some huge Gecko's outside my house!

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by sam821, Jul 21, 2008.

1. I just saw these guys hanging on the wall of my house tonight... Very interesting looking Gecko, although I am not sure what kind they are... I ran inside and grabbed my 55-200mm zoom and put it on faster than you can imagine, ran back outside and had a field day shooting these guys. The didn't flinch so they were easy subjects.

I got tore up by mosquitoes taking these photos, so I hope you all enjoy!

2690390397_f6c525fbd7_b.

2691200668_c9ee764577_b.

2691199256_8faf3f5b41_b.

2691198230_1d0a4a1e3b_b.

2691197286_7323a3a012_b.

2. Those are pretty awesome, are the indigenous to Florida? They look more like they came from a rain-forest in South America. Cool shots.

3. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    florida looks so awesome

4. He's a cute little bugger!!

Great capture.

5. Thank you guys... I have a feeling that this was probably a non-native pet that was released into the wild and has bred and re-bred several times and now there are quite a few. I have never seen these anywhere else in south Florida. When I moved to my current location in Miami I saw a couple of these big gecko's on my wall. They are about 18"-24" long! Very impressive!

We do have tons of other smaller gecko's running around, but these guys are special! Hopefully someone on this board will recognized them and be able to tell me the species.

6. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    they're Tokay Geckos

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokay_gecko

7. beautiful gecko

but don't let Florida fool you - its got just as many big nasty evil bugs and critters as it does cute ones....

8. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Interesting gecko. Haven't seen one of those this far north - yet.

9. Yes, they are Tokay Gecko's. Thank you. In the two and half years I have been living at my current location, I have seen them around, on average of once a month or so. I've contemplated trying to catch one of the baby's to keep as a pet, but I figured it's easier to just leave them alone and I can see them every once in a while, kinda like an informal pet.

10. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Very Cool!

11. More.

12. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    good thing other wild animals from their native region dont roam free in florida (like tigers)

haha

13. Tell me about it, but there are panthers, crocs and gators...

14. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    that just makes you guys that much tougher

we dont have much dangerous wildlife here

15. As beautiful as they are, I regard Tokays a nuisance because they are so loud - especially during night they can rob you of your sleep :mad: 

They are very common in SE-Asia, where they are native

here's a pic from Burma

original.

But I have to admit, they are impressive.

Cheers

16. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    ... deer flies that will carry your dog away, bears, ensephalitis mosquitos, coral snakes, snapping turtles the size of truck tires, puppy-eating iguanas, black widows, sharks, sting rays, flesh-eating brown recluses, white recluses, blue recluses, white recluses, and some really scary Dr Suess characters...

17. You know its funny, they live around my house and I have never heard any unsusal noises? maybe because there are not too many and there is no need for mating calls?? I'm not sure?

WOW! When you put it that way, Florida is a scary place! :biggrin:

18. + BIG roaches (think half of a stick of gum) that FLY!!!!!!!
    + No-see-ems
    + Sea lice
    + Chiggers
    + Tourist

19. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Ah, yes, Jack, how could I forget the giant flying cockroaches? They are affectionately called Palmetto bugs and get to be about 1.5" long.

Trust us you do not know the true meaning of terror until one of these suckers get airborne in your house.

Airborne cockroach + you/enclosed space = chaos

I once broke a full sink of dishes and two cat food bowls on the floor when one stepped from the sink onto my bare midriff. After the screaming and multitude of crashing, my boyfriend in the next room asked calmly, "Roach?"

20. I'll never forget the day my new bride, who had dutifully left her family behind to be with me in Florida, was getting a new vacuum cleaner bag from the top shelf in the closet and a 'Palmmeto' bug landed in her hair. I didn't think she'd stay long...:biggrin:
    I also remember they used to congregate by the thousands under trash cans in the rain, picking up a can would send them in all directions and scare the hell out of you. I don't miss them!
    I do still really enjoy south Florida.:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.