Some images from the d2x & 800mm sigma

Discussion in 'Birds' started by phillip 200, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Hi all while the weather has been pretty miserable here in the North West of England for the last couple of weeks, I have managed to get out now and again in between the downpours of rain here are a few images from the last few weeks I hope you enjoy looking at them.

Phillip.

snipe-d2x sigma 800
    [​IMG]
    bearded-tit-d2x
    [​IMG]
    treecreper-d2x
    [​IMG]
    jay-d2x
    [​IMG]
    jay-d2x
    [​IMG]
    red-throated-diver-d2x
    [​IMG]
    red-throated-diver-d2x
    [​IMG]
    kestrel-d2x
    [​IMG]
    kestrel-d2x
    [​IMG]

:biggrin: :smile:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats one hellava lens there pal.

Well ok I have dibs on the hubble when they call it obsolete. So there

Great images/

Not a flaw anywhere

(snipe huntin huh . hummmm)

3. Wow those are great pictures. I don't have any favorites because they are all very nice and sharp. Thanks for going out between the downpours to get us some shots.

Also superb exposure on all of them.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Phillip,

Your posts are consistently among the best on the board. I'm simply amazed at the level of detail that you seem to get on every shot, and your post processing is just about perfect. You need to come to Merritt III and give us all lessons. :wink:

5. Excellent series again the shots of the tits is fantastic Phillip

6. Hi Phillip,

Excellent results. What aperture were you using on these shots?

7. Phillip you have captured some terrific shots. So sharp and crisp. Makes me want to trash my latest images and start over.

8. Hi Rory I try to use the widest aperture possible usually, and the lowest ISO I can get away with very rarely do I go above F8.

With good technique and a good tripod/head you can get away with quite low shutter speed's here are the shutter speeds, aperture and ISO of the images posted thanks again for taking the time to look and comment.

Phillip.:smile:

Snipe 1/250 @ f8 iso 100

Bearded tit 1/100 @ f6.3 iso 200 -.3ev

Tree creeper 1/40 @ f8 iso 100

Jay’s 1/60 @ f7.1 iso 200 2nd one
    1/50 @ f8 iso 400 1st one

Red throated diver’s 1/180 @ f8 iso 200

Kestrel 1/350 @ f8 iso 200 -.3ev
    and the kestrel on the small branch
    1/60 @f8 iso320 -.3ev

9. Very nice Phillip!

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Awesome work Philipe. Do you lock everything down & use a cable release for these shots? Reason for asking is that I can't even touch my shutter button if out at those focal lengths.

11. Hi Steve sometimes I do lock everything down and use a cable release occasionally but more often than not I tend to leave just enough resistance on the Wemberley head so that it is free moving, then I take a short burst of frames especially low shutter speeds.

Phillip.
    :smile:

12. Callie

Callie Guest

Beutiful shots, no nits, the monster lens is beautiful.
    Is it any good at getting take-off shots, by this this I mean, is it fast enough to nail movement, or does it create blur, for instance, kingfisher throwing prey item into the air, or Blue Tit taking of?

13. Hi callie if you mean is the autofocus fast enough then yes it is more than fast enough, but if you're referring to subject movement then the only thing to stop subject movement is a fast shutter speed.

Phillip.:smile:

14. Wow! I can only echo everyone else's comments. These are beauties. I appreciate all the details about your shots as well! Thanks for sharing these.

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

excellent work and outstanding set
    as others have said very sharp and detailed
    I also appreciate the EXIF write up.

16. Callie

Callie Guest

Thanks Philip
    This is a lousy one, the only way is to push the ISO - I was shooting kingfishers on Saturday, and the bill and insect is soft when he flips it in the air. I was @ISO 400, but think I need ISO800 and at least 1/1000 to nail the movement. I shoot f5.6 with the 120-300 plus 2x - hence 200 mm below you.
    Are you considering the 300-800 zoom? A magic lens as well.
    TFS

17. awesome collection here Phillip.
    Dave

18. Hi Callie you can also under exposure to buy one-stop leaving your ISO at a 400 and if it gave you a speed of 1/60 or whatever you could apply one-stop of exposure compensation and then adjust it in capture afterwards, I find this gives less noise than going to 800 try it you have nothing to lose. No I am quite happy with my 800 prime lens also the 300 to 800 is 2 kilos more.

Phillip.
    :smile: