Some landscapes from Oregon (July trip)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by JayR, Oct 5, 2005.

1. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Here are some landscapes from our trip to the Oregon Coast last July. Hope you like them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Goofed up some formatting. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005
  2. Really nice images Jay. Don't you love the Oregon coast?

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Cool shots...

4. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    We really loved the Oregon Coast. I didn't have much time for photography as this was a family vacation but still managed to sneak out a couple of times to catch good light. Weather did not cooperate much but atleast it didn't rain. Would like to go there just for photography someday.

5. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Jay,
    I loved Nos. 2 & 5. I think it's the quality of the light, and I think they're great fine art style images.

Mike

6. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I appreciate the comments.

I am not that good with PP. The images have had some light curves, USM (25-75, 5, 4), and a +10 contrast boost in NC. Is there anything I could try to make the images better in either NC o PSE2?

Thanks

7. Very beautiful pictures, i like the ones with peoples on the beach that gives proportions to the size of the rock islands in the back.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Last one is absolutely stunning.
    (straighten the horizon a bit though)

Just a person thing , i just don't really care for B&W..

The rest are also gorgeous.

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Landscapes are deceptively simple to do, everyone does them, but in fact good landscape photography is extremely difficult.

The first image (b/w) has some potential, though, but the framing and hence the composition is too haphazard and should be quite a bit tighter. It could still easily be made into a strong image with visual impact. The others convey details and moods but are much too impersonal for my taste. You should try to work yourself into the landscape, to get more depth so to speak. This implies one has to select what's important and what's not. You have to envision and convey your own attitudes and feelings towards the subject, not just depict it. Ask yourself why you are emotionally moved by what you see, and make a visual statement to that effect.

I normally don't do critics here, or elsewhere, because people frequently have problems with a frank, outspoken view. But kindness to an aspiring photographer just for the sake of it, isn't the way to go if you really want to be a proficient photographer. The real world doesn't operate like that.

10. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I appreciate all the comments.

Bjorn - That is an intriguing critique. I do not mind frank outspoken view at all. I admit that most of these shots are "snapshot" vacation pictures. However, I have been giving more thought into exactly what you mentioned.

For example, on the first one I tried to depict the peaceful serene feeling that I had when I walking along miles of that beach. I captured it to the best of my ability by using the calm lowtide water in the foreground and waves washing ashore on the beach on a misty morning. I think that I have achieved that to some extent with this B&W picture. I understand it might not be technically perfect but that is something that I am trying to improve on. Having said that, could you please give me some pointers on how you would have composed the first picture to express the feeling mentioned above?

I would really appreciate if you (or anyone else) could add their thoughts as I am sure it would of great help to aspiring photographers like me.

11. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Jay last one does it.