Some LI Shore Birds

I went to the beach the other evening with my fiancee to see the sunset and to try to get some shots of her (those didn't work out so well). While we were there it was low tide and it revealed many sand bars which are normally covered, also this makes for easy picking for the birds to get some food. Unfortunately I didn't have a long zoom with me so these shots are all taken with a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 lens, not my first choice for birds but I tried to do the best I could. As usual, any comments, feedback, criticism, or adbice is always appreciated :smile:

1) A couple of Seagulls
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2) More Seagulls, this time with a crab

3) Least Tern with a fresh catch. I really wish this was sharper but to be honest this guy caught me by surprise.

#1 is a ring-billed gull (Larus delawarensis). There's no such animal as a seagull, except in literature.

#2 is a ring-billed gull on the left and a great black-backed gull (Larus marinus) with the crab.

#3 Least tern (Sterna antillarum). These guys are small and fast. Hard to catch flying. Well done.

#4 is a juvenile doube-crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus).

#1 is a ring-billed gull (Larus delawarensis). There's no such animal as a seagull, except in literature.

#2 is a ring-billed gull on the left and a great black-backed gull (Larus marinus) with the crab.

#3 Least tern (Sterna antillarum). These guys are small and fast. Hard to catch flying. Well done.

#4 is a juvenile doube-crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus).
Thanks Alex.
I knew there were different species of Gulls but never realized they weren't technically "Seagull's"; growing up on Long Island that was always the general term for them but this is coming from someone who has never learned much about birds (I'm interested now more than I was when I was younger). I actually have a friend who is a wildlife biologist for the state, I'll have to start asking him tons of questions :biggrin:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom