Some local residents

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Aug 22, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi You'll,

Just a few shots of some of our local residents of the Viera Wetlands

A snowy egret
    32571271-L.

a bittern, I was glad to get this shot because these guys don't come out too often

[​IMG]

a limpkin
    [​IMG]

a juvenile Little Blue Heron. This guy is just turning blue from his earlier white coloring.
    [​IMG]

a juvenile tri-colored heron
    [​IMG]

a cattle egret
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Harry, you really seem to be enjoying yourself these days, and your great pictures keep showing it.

Please keep posting! These are adding fuel to the fire for another Merritt trip sometime down the road...

3. Harry, fabulous shots! That least bittern is incredible! Sure like the results you're getting from the 500!!

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hey David,

Thanks for the kind words. I am enjoying myself these days. The 500mm has opened up a bunch of shots that I couldn't have gotten before.

Another Merritt trip would be great. In the right season (Nov-March) it can't be beat for photo ops. Between Merritt Island and the Viera Wetlands plus some of the other locales in this area its really bird central.

5. Some really fabulous shots Harry. Several of them are really first rate. Love the Bittern. :smile:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Harry. Can't wait for MIII so I can join you an a few of these jaunts. :smile:

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Kevin. I've been trying to get shot of one of those for awhile now so I was very happy with this one.

The 500 is really paying off. I never would have been able to get close enough to him with my 300 or my 80-400. He took off as soon as he heard the D2h take the shot.

8. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gordon. I'm really happy with the bittern shot.

9. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Beautiful shots, Harry! Viera looks like a very fun place to shoot birds!

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Frank. I'm looking forward eagerly to shooting with you again.

11. Great shots, Harry! It's nice to see the variety of birds there.

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Don. It is a great place to shoot.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thank you Dennis. Its a thrill to shoot in the wetlands. You never know what you are going to see.

14. Beautiful shots, Harry. Ahh!! the wings envelopping the egret body in #1: what an awesome pose.>>>>

I think the egrets don't like photographers much. They seem to always get «itchy» (scratching under the neck) when bird shooter are around. (LOL)

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Thanks Dao. Egrets definitely don't like photographers. They will do anything to mess up a shot.

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Harry,
    I took the time to download your bird pictures and they're great. I can see why you like the 500 so much.

Today I asked a photographer here in Michigan where to find birds in this area. He informed me that I'm spoiled because of the birds in Florida. He said I'd have trouble finding them up here and he's right. He said I'd have to hide in a blind or do something tricky to get the bird pictures.

Several weeks ago I found four Great Blues in a lilly pond and got their pictures..I guess I didn't know how lucky I was.

Great pictures with your 500mm. We'll be going home to Florida in two weeks so can hardly wait to get back out with the Florida birds (the heat and the bugs too)

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida

Hey Gaye,

Great hearing from ya. Glad you liked the shots. I love the 500mm lens even though I have to use a tripod just about all the time. I had to get a Wimberly head and the Gitzo 1325 to go with it.

We are so lucky in Florida. I have bumped into out of state shooters in the Wetlands and these folks are in a state of amazement because they have never been so close to the birds before.

18. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    We are so lucky in Florida. I have bumped into out of state shooters in the Wetlands and these folks are in a state of amazement because they have never been so close to the birds before.[/QUOTE]

Hi Harry,
    That's exactly what that man told me yesterday ..He said he used to do bird photography but got all his pictures down in Florida with his 600mm lens (film shooter) ..Now he does wildflowers because up here no birds to shoot...they're here but not in special places as they are in Florida. So enjoy your fun and one day in the near future I'll get over there with my
    200-400VR. Hi to 'L' too,