1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some Macro shots from sept 23thr

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Boobie Joe, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Some with natural light, some with a SB-29S, who needs TTL for
    macro work anyways :) 

Post porcessing is mostly crops, colors and exposure are as shot.

It was the second time of my life that I encountered such an
    insect, luckily, it is not very nervous and even less poisonous :) 

original.

View attachment 15891

View attachment 15892

View attachment 15893

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    60mm    f/25.0    1/80s    ISO 400

View attachment 15895

View attachment 15896

original.
    NIKON D2X    ---    60mm    f/25.0    1/80s    ISO 400

Hope you enjoy them.

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow, incredible images. Wish they were mine. I've never seen one of those. What are they called?

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Outstanding shots, is that bug very big?

5. Yves, these shots are super. I especially like the first one and the last two although they are all excellent. You couldn't expect a Preying Mantis to pose for you any better than this. Lighting is excellent and exposure right on.

6. It is a Praying Mantis.

Thx for the kind words.

7. THe light was kind and not so harsh around 4 PM. On 230 images, I had at least 50 postable ones, this is a rather high score for me ... I usually keep it under 5 %

8. Between 2 and 2.5 inches. Like a very very large Grasshopper.

I wouldn't keep it as a pet though, they usually get rid of the male after copulation by eating them ... Kind of a nasty beast.

9. Actually Yves, the Preying Mantis are the good guys of the insect world, along with lady bugs. Many gardners buy them in 100 lots and import them into their garden. They will clean out bad bugs in a hurry. Besides, they are fun to photograph.

10. I stand corrected then ... I like ladybugs better, size has to have something to do with it ... :biggrin:

11. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I guess this one is a female or an immature male. :wink:

12. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sharp pictures, this mantis guy know how to pose for picture :smile:

!!! :eek:  !!! So glad that I am not a male mantis :biggrin:

Ben

13. Yves, these are terrific!
    I have still not screwed up to buy a ring flash (I rather bought another lens instead), but being to lazy to contrive a multi-flash contraption for close-up work I guess it's just a matter of time until I place the order.
    And, you are right - who needs TTL for macro work :smile:

BTW - I know that one may buy lady birds and other stuff for biological pest control, but I have never heard of mantids being sold for that purpose :confused: 
    Cheers

14. Wow Yves. This is a great series. I know how close you can (or must) get with the 60mm. You must have stained the glass at some point !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.