Some Macro shots from sept 23thr

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Boobie Joe, Sep 24, 2005.

1. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow, incredible images. Wish they were mine. I've never seen one of those. What are they called?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Outstanding shots, is that bug very big?

4. Yves, these shots are super. I especially like the first one and the last two although they are all excellent. You couldn't expect a Preying Mantis to pose for you any better than this. Lighting is excellent and exposure right on.

5. It is a Praying Mantis.

Thx for the kind words.

6. THe light was kind and not so harsh around 4 PM. On 230 images, I had at least 50 postable ones, this is a rather high score for me ... I usually keep it under 5 %

7. Between 2 and 2.5 inches. Like a very very large Grasshopper.

I wouldn't keep it as a pet though, they usually get rid of the male after copulation by eating them ... Kind of a nasty beast.

8. Actually Yves, the Preying Mantis are the good guys of the insect world, along with lady bugs. Many gardners buy them in 100 lots and import them into their garden. They will clean out bad bugs in a hurry. Besides, they are fun to photograph.

9. I stand corrected then ... I like ladybugs better, size has to have something to do with it ... :biggrin:

10. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I guess this one is a female or an immature male. :wink:

11. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Sharp pictures, this mantis guy know how to pose for picture :smile:

!!! :eek: !!! So glad that I am not a male mantis :biggrin:

Ben

12. Yves, these are terrific!
    I have still not screwed up to buy a ring flash (I rather bought another lens instead), but being to lazy to contrive a multi-flash contraption for close-up work I guess it's just a matter of time until I place the order.
    And, you are right - who needs TTL for macro work :smile:

BTW - I know that one may buy lady birds and other stuff for biological pest control, but I have never heard of mantids being sold for that purpose :confused:
    Cheers

13. Wow Yves. This is a great series. I know how close you can (or must) get with the 60mm. You must have stained the glass at some point !