Some More Cormorant Shots....;-)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I have not had much luck getting flight shots of these guys. These are pretty heavy crops, but they are the best I've gotten to date. All shot with the D2H / 300 2.8 + 1.4 TC except #4 which was taken with the 70-200VR + 1.7 TC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    oh Frank,
    Those are really pretty shots.

Good job.

3. sandbagger ;^ ) you shoot better with a broken H than I do with the x on a good day :rolleyes:

4. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Nice shots Frank. Are these from today or yesterday?
    If you need some PPing to do to keep you busy, I can send you some of my files :wink:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks Gale. You're just saying that because you are a nice person. :tongue:

Keith, Wish I had a 400 or 500mm lens. The 300 2.8 is great wide open, or with the 1.4 TC, but I'm not as impressed by the 1.7. Probably just me though. :rolleyes:

Chris, I have more than enough to keep me busy for a week or three. These are all from today except #4.

Thanks again,

6. Im not a 1.7x luver either so dont feel bad............thinking of putting my 500mm af-s up and possibly the x . Must be going thru midlife crisis........and no not sure what Im doing yet, but doin it none the less. LOL But I just ordered my new Honda Ridgeline :^ )

7. Frank I sure wish I could get shots like this. These are just terrific. Love the great light you got on them.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Keith,

You are an excellent photographer. I'd really hate to see you step away from it.

BTW, the Ridgeline looks like a really fine vehicle. I really like Honda. Janie's has driven nothing else for 15 years. The Ridgeline would make a great truck for going shooting too. :wink:

9. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nicely done Frank, very nice
    wait is someone selling a 500 ?? :wink:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    FLEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Thanks for the "nice" compliment....

butttttt. Those are very Pretty shots
    Great all the way around.

11. Nice shots these birds are hard to expose properly and they move rather quickly, very well done

12. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

Possibly the best all around various wing pattern expose of these birds that I've seen.

Great job :)

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

Mike, they do move fast don't they. These were taken as he made the turn out in front of me. Pretty tricky panning. :smile:

Jim, I appreciate it. I was thinking of you as I was shooting this guy. I'm finally getting to the point where I can make the right exposure adjustments based on the color of the bird and the angle and quality of light, although I don't usually make the change during the shooting process like you do. These were shot about a full stop over what I was shooting the GBH's. They are so much darker, and of course have no white spots to hold. I would see GBH, adjust down, see Cormorant, adjust up. Pretty exciting, huh? :rolleyes:

14. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank...Exposure

Not only are they dark and need to be lit up...it's also complicated by the luminosity of the background which they are flying against.

Sometimes when I stop and try to reason it out, I get confused. Kinda like riding a bike...or walking and trying to chew gum at the same time!

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I have the advantage of shooting in manual mode, so the background isn't that much of a factor. The things that I have to consider are the angle, color, and intensity of the available light, and the color of the subject. I don't always get it right, but I'm certainly getting better at it. I think that it makes shooting a lot more enjoyable. :smile: