Some more from my town (Oporto)

63096232.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 107110

View attachment 107111

View attachment 107112

Hope you like it.

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Rui,
Beautiful pictures of your town. What lens did you use? I see on your gallery that you used the D70.
Thanks,

G

GlenF

Beautiful! Initially, my head had a difficult time wrapping around the last pic. :Shocked:

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Beautiful! Initially, my head had a difficult time wrapping around the last pic
: Yes Glen. I see your point. It is a cliff over the river which is not ilumminated in the middle. So, it seems that there are two different images.

Beautiful pictures of your town. What lens did you use? I see on your gallery that you used the D70.
: GeeJay: Yes the D70 with the 18-70 for the 1st. one, Sigma 10-20for the 2nd. remaining with 80-200 2.8.

Best Regards

Thanks, Rui, for the lens info. Very very nice job with those lenses and the D70. I'll bet you get super pictures with a little point and shoot too.

Thank you Gale and Gaye.

Actually Gaye, I'm planning to get a P&S soon so I'll don't miss pictures whenever I leave the "heavy" gear home. I gess it will be a Canon as I suppose they do better compact cameras than Nikon. May be I'll post some images taken with it later.
Thanks and have a very good week.

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

The photos are excellent, and I enjoyed them. I like the compositions, and the exposures and sharpness are "right on".

However, this is the "Wanderlust" thread, where the guidelines are:

"Wanderlust is a corner of the Cafe where members that have the urge to travel can share their experiences. We invite you to post pictures of the places you have been but also accompany them with a narrative to tell us more than just what you took pictures of.

Tell us of the people you met. Places you dined, or places that you stayed.
"

I know this is where you live, but, can you please tell us a little more about the subjects of the pictures?

I know this is where you live, but, can you please tell us a little more about the subjects of the pictures?

Yes, with pleasure. Briefly, Oporto is the 2nd. most important town of Portugal. It is very old (1111) and its former name (Portus Cale) was the key name to the country. It's well known worldwide by the name of the famous wine (Port Wine) produced and bottled here. The posted pictures shows the river (Douro) and the typical houses built on the north side of it. In the first image on upper left side and in the 4th. on top, you can see the main cathedral of the town. The bridge you can see at the two first images is iron made and is dated 1886. The boats in the 2nd. picture are called "Rabelo" and in the past were used to transport the barrels of wine along the river from the wine fields (50 miles away) here.
Nowadays, the Wine companies organize each year an event (regatta) with the boats. Here's a picture of it:
63094830.gif

Finally, in the third image what you see is and old tower (1754), also symbol of the town, 250 feet tall and an old trolley car wooden made, still in use.

Hope you have enjoyed the storic details of this town
Best Regards

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

I thank you all for your kind comments. Should you plan a trip here, let me know so I can give you the local good directions!
Best Regards
Rui

Thank you Chris. Actually it is the main cathedral on the left. It has been built between 1100 and 1150. The large building on the right makes part of the compound (it is a religious college) but it's recent. Here you have a larger view of the old cathedral:
82886267.gif

and a detail inside:
View attachment 107115

Best Regards
Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Latest threads

Top Bottom