some more from Saturday

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by mike mac, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Ok her eis the scond in a series of post of a your soccer tournament I hot this past Saturday.
    All shots are with the D2X and the 300 2.8 with 1.4 tele
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice shots Mike. The actions and expressions were captured well. Soccer shots are next on my list of sporting shots to take.

God Bless,
    David

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Mike , You Rule we all Drool:biggrin:
    These are fantastic great job

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Mike....WOW!
    Jaw dropping good!!! I'm running out of adjectives to describe this your shots!
    Excellent.!!!

5. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Studying Mike Mac

I'm certain the parents' eyes well up when they see these images. Absolutely stunning!!

I used to try to follow an adage I read on another forum - that a good sports pic has 3 elements - the faces, the ball and conflict. After studying - not viewing, but studying - Mike's images for the past several months, I've changed my mind and now agree with what I've read Mike say - that it is the face that sells.

IF...you can get the ball in the picture, that's good. IF...you can get the conflict between 2 players, that's good, too. But a good close face shot is key. I'm just stating the obvious, I know.

It seems most of Mike's shots are waist up allowing for more room in the frame for the face. Look at these soccer shots. Some are just face shots. Of the pics that include the ball, most were captured with the ball in the air allowing again for a waist up sort of shot.

Other examples. I've admired Mike's LAX shots. In that sport the action, so to speak, is at waist level in that the players are holding their, um, stick-thingy (sorry, in my younger days, I never heard of LAX, much less played or watched). And football, I've seen some of Mike's pictures, again waist up, where the player was holding, or about to pass, the ball.

Oh, and another good thing. Good, tight shots like these provide a larger target for the AF sensors, right?

What I'm getting at is that in the past I've been trying to get the player's entire body, and ball, and, perhaps, another player, into the frame. But now I plan to change my ways and attempt to shoot "Mike Mac style."

Am I making any sense? Anyone concur?

Mike, thanks for sharing your work and giving n00bs like me something to strive for!!

6. Once again, I'm awed. A question, if you will -- you shot these with the 300 and 1.4xTC; how does the 70-200 with the 2xTC compare? Have you used that setup? You'd be shooting at one stop less aperture with this combo (which is why I'm guessing you chose what you did). Can you offer any thoughts, comments on this alternative? I ask as that's what I'll be using, (well, 80-200) since I'm not able to get a 300 f/2.8 any time soon (and still have a happy marriage, that is :biggrin:).

7. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Show off :) Nice work yet again

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, these are great....how about the kid making the hand gesture!!! Awesome photography Mike.

9. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Incedible!

Mike, I've really enjoyed both parts so far, and looking forward to more. I start my first soccer shooting at the end of the month. I've been given access to shoot at the local, private, (non-school) leagues. I figure I'll start with the little kids first, to 'wet my feet'. I printed off acena's "soccer; job of the day" thread to read. been searching some soccer threads here, as well as browsing many of Randy's smugmug galleries since he shoots a lot of soccer, and very well, I must say. but, we all knew that. :biggrin:

I'm using some of my Smugmug $ to upgrade to a D200 tomorrow. While my D50s did pretty good for baseball, I missed a few running shots due to focusing speed. And since they're always running in soccer and football......:wink:

10. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Simply put..

Outstanding !

11. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good lord -- # 1 and 2 makes a person want to go ahead and spend the cash for the 300 2.8 --

12. Really nice action shots Mike. Great use of the 300/2.8 + 1.4 combo.

13. Thanks soccer offers tons of oppurtunites for great action captures
    Thanks so much for the kind words
    Thanks Jeff, I just really enjoy this aspect of photography
    Well thanks so much for the insightful post. The cmpany I shot for has several top level pro photographers and they have taught me so much. I am liek a sponge soaking up their knowledge
    Tight is the key to succesful shoting and faces are what you get when you shoot tight. I beleive you are right about the AF beign more accurate when shootign tight but make sure you are focusing on the face and not the body at f4 the DOF is so shallow that you can miss the mark very easily
    I woudl not shot the 70-200 with the 2x it is slwo to AF and the shots are soft. The 70-200 does perfoem well with the 1.4 though
    Thanks Randy as is most of the work being posted on here the amount of quality shots posted is incredible
    I liek the bead of sweat on his nose!!!!
    I think you will be amazed at the AF improvment with the D200 and the colors of the D200 are just fantastic. I think you will see a big difference.
    Get out and shoot and then shot soem more the old adage practice makes perfect is the truth
    Thanks so much

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Bet the parents just love these shots!

15. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Couple Qs for Mike Mac

Mike,

For your shooting, do you find having 8fps beneficial?

I assume you separate focusing from the shutter by using AF-ON? If so, can you describe how you go about obtaining and maintaining focus, and when to shoot?

Thanks!

16. Simply amazing once again! #9 is absolutely priceless! :smile: