Some more small northern birdies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike mac, Jan 30, 2005.

1. These were taken yesterday and today in my front yard with the D2H and the 300 f4 and the 1.4 tele and the SB800 flash
    Female Cardnial
    [​IMG]
    Downy Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    Black Eyed Junco
    [​IMG]
    Male Cardnial
    [​IMG]

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OMG!!

Mike,

Are you going to show us how to do this in FL?? Incredible shots!!

Regards,

Frank

3. Hi Mike.....

Your third shot is incredible!!!! LIke them all. Looks like you need a new challenge. Been trying, dont know how long to get a chickadee in flight.............that will keep you busy for alittle while ;-)

here is my absolute first shot out of my D2h............

http://www4.pbase.com/keithrankin/image/39212619/original.jpg

4. Those are incredible ...

Fantastic exposures and compositions.

5. Mike, great stuff. What kind of distance are you shooting from and are these crops? Also, are these all "natural" or have you set perches up around your feeders? One thing I want to do this year is to start shooting more "small" birds, trying not to figure out how :lol: .

Thanks!

6. Just excellent Mike. I am going to have to break out my flash for the small bird shots in the future. Are you using the Stofen diffuser, the little white card, or just straight on?

Good work,

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Mike,

These are great. Your picture posts always impress me.

Thanks for sharing.

8. Re: OMG!!

I am hoping to learn some inflight stuff from you it is all about sharing.....

9. Re: Hi Mike.....

[Thanks
    I need to post soemthign other than these little guys but for now it is all tiem allows
    Great first shot with the big gun

10. Thanks Patrick I appreciate it.

11. For the close one s I use the diffuser but for some of the other natural cover I have setup I shoot without it kind of hit and miss

12. Bill
    I have three feeders in the yard and have setup some natural perches for them to stop at in there way in and out. Most of these shots are from 10 to 30 feet at the most 45 feet there is some cropping maybe 25 percent or so, even with the cropping the 8x10s are flawless at least to my untrained eyes.

13. Which flash?

Mike - which flash do you use?

- edited -

Just saw in another post (expodisc) that you're probably shooting with the SB-800.

14. Re: Which flash?

The SB800 it is fantastic very consistent and reliable works great with the D2H