1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Some new, some old

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Hello!

Started my summer vacation but haven´t got really a change to shoot much yet, just couple short outings... mostly just handling a new tripod. So, here´s some new, some old stuff

Got one more "Flat Wolf" (L. depressa) today, saw 5 males and 2 females, but they weren´t really in the mood for posing, I guess
    EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention, this one´s a male

This is a teneral (newly emerged) I. pumilio, male

Male Coenagrion johanssoni. These can be found also here in southern parts of the country but they become very common when going towards the north. And for example this tiny swamp pond I visited in the area called "Middle Finland" it was the dominant Damsel species

These are really tiny Damsels and especially female appears very dark almost black when in flight

Enallagma cyathigerum, female
    19-220608047-1.

Leucorrhinia dubia pair. Not the cleanest image, but these can be a pain to get a shot, atleast I got them mating

Leucorrhinia pectoralis, female
    19-220608002.

I´m really looking forward visiting in area which I call a Promised Land of Gomphidae this sunday. Going to be there atleast two days, maybe more... just shooting... THESE:
    19-220608194-1.
    19-220608152-1.
    19-220608161.

^Above:
    1) Female C. boltonii (not a Gomphidae)
    2) Male O. forcipatus
    3) Female G. vulgatissimus

All shots taken with D200 + Nikkor 300mm AF-S f/4... a Nikon PN-11 tube was most likely used on all Damsel shots...

Thanks for looking! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  2. Beautiful shots Jukka!

can't wait to see what the Promised Land of Gomphidae provides you with

3. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Beautiful shots Jukka. It seems that the Coenagrion johanssoni doesn't come this far south. Pretty much your local specie. So how do you like your new tripod? I think I need a new one two. What head do you have? I have forgotten if you have told.

4. Fantastic Jukka, I really like the first one. The Flat Wolf seems rather unusual... The rest, beautiful comp, color, sharpness...

5. stunning work, jukka
    i always in awe of your images

i greatly appreciate you sharing them with us

6. Thanks, Paul!

I can´t wait to get there eather...actually, just killing time at the moment as my train is about to leave in an hour and a half...

Tak Torben!

Yep, C. johansoni is very northern species...

Well about the tripod, which is a Manfrotto 055xb, I´m not sure yet what to think about it... I mean when comparing it to Gitzo G2220. I like the flip type locks of leg height adjustment on Manfrotto the better... But I like similar flip type locks of leg angle adjustment on Gitzo better and as on Gitzo there´s no pre-set angles, you can lock them at any angle... Otherwise they´re similarly speced. It would be nice to have a tripod which combine those two things together... They´re both sturdy enough for my use... But I guess I need some more time with the 055xb before I can really say am I going to like it or not...the leg angle adjustment seems a bit ackward, but maybe it´s just that I have used to easyness of the Gitzo...

The head I´m using is a Markins M10. Which is excellent... no need for other words...:smile:

Thanks, Birgit!

Thanks, Rich!

Thanks, Greg!

7. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Beautiful shots Jukka. I have to say the "Male O. forcipatus" is probably my favorite of this set. Very nice.

8. Beautiful set of images, Jukka. Thank you so much for sharing them.

9. Really cool images. Thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.