Some Nice Public Lamps

perhaps there is no consensus among us but, I find some public lamps a very interesting photographic subject:

At sunset :
115463260.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

or lit by the daylight:
View attachment 387685

View attachment 387686

View attachment 387687

All taken at Ponferrada, North of Spain

I´d like to get your (always welcome) C&C:wink:

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Of the set, I like the first one best. The colors are great, the sillhouttes of the lamps help make the image, and other elements in the image are not competing for a spot in the image. The 2 lamps compliment each other well. The other 3 are nice but in image 2 & 3, the background or foliage are competing for a spot in the shot and is a bit distracting to my eye and in 4, the placement seems off. I will say this, these are lamps and areas I wish to photograph. The street lamps in my town are dull and boring by comparison. Thank you for sharing your wonderful area with us.

God Bless,
David

Of the set, I like the first one best. The colors are great, the sillhouttes of the lamps help make the image, and other elements in the image are not competing for a spot in the image. The 2 lamps compliment each other well. The other 3 are nice but in image 2 & 3, the background or foliage are competing for a spot in the shot and is a bit distracting to my eye and in 4, the placement seems off. I will say this, these are lamps and areas I wish to photograph. The street lamps in my town are dull and boring by comparison. Thank you for sharing your wonderful area with us.

God Bless,
David

Rui, I have to agree with David's comments -- 100%. But then the question becomes "how to do it". The simplicity of the background makes it for the first one. It would be simple enough to stand back and photograph these as a part of the larger scene, but isolation of these lamps as the principal subjects is a challenge. [My limited experience says "controlled lighting", but then how to do that in a public area?]

Rui, I have to agree with David's comments -- 100%. But then the question becomes "how to do it". The simplicity of the background makes it for the first one. It would be simple enough to stand back and photograph these as a part of the larger scene, but isolation of these lamps as the principal subjects is a challenge. [My limited experience says "controlled lighting", but then how to do that in a public area?]

It might look silly, but if it is the isolation of the lamp you want, try walking with an 8 foot step ladder in tow around the town to capture these lights. I think it would be an awsome challenge and assignment to capture the town's street lamps at various times of the day, angles and vary the background and focal length to get the desired result. This comment might be stepping way out there for shots but I feel in the end it would be effective in giving the standard "street lamp" an intimate feel that we probably have never seen before. I know for me, I'd try this out if I had wraught iron and artistic lamps to shoot.

God Bless,
David

It might look silly, but if it is the isolation of the lamp you want, try walking with an 8 foot step ladder in tow around the town to capture these lights. I think it would be an awsome challenge and assignment to capture the town's street lamps at various times of the day, angles and vary the background and focal length to get the desired result. This comment might be stepping way out there for shots but I feel in the end it would be effective in giving the standard "street lamp" an intimate feel that we probably have never seen before. I know for me, I'd try this out if I had wraught iron and artistic lamps to shoot.

God Bless,
David
:biggrin:David, I have stood in the bed of my pickup truck -- I should just throw the step ladder in too.:biggrin:

Rui - nice shots

I think most of us (in the US at least) don't have fancy street lamps worth taking photos of :)
...but have for sure other very interesting subjects. Thanks for commenting.

God Bless,
David
Thanks David. I can see your point. However, it´s difficult to isolate the main subject from background with subjects placed so high. However, in the 3rd. the purpose was to create the achieved effect playing a bit with DOF.

I love the first shot the best. Great shots BTW
Many thanks.

Almost impossible. Of course we can manipulate it later but then we´ll lose the "captured moment". Thanks.

Even the street lamps in your country are beautiful. You make NYC look like a dump :)
Not my country, Robert. It's our neighbor country - Spain. Thanks for your kind comment but NYC is really awesome!:smile:

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

God Bless,
David
Sometimes a step ladder would be useful, yes! But then we would be talking about perfect conditions and sometimes not pratical. I am thinking about the press photographers always trying to get "that" shot over the heads of the crowd...:biggrin: May be one of the reasons why Nikon developed the D5000 with the tilted LCD...

:biggrin:David, I have stood in the bed of my pickup truck -- I should just throw the step ladder in too.:biggrin:
Don´t do that, Bob...you may damage the pickup..:biggrin:

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

B

Bright Angel

Very nice work.
I'd like to see the light featured in shot 2 against a plain background though.

just so you don't feel odd i like them too!

Here a coulpe not as good as yours but well take a look.

3721084961_4a3840c31b_m.jpg

3368977862_95c9f66568_m.jpg

3237205762_cd0d2e3b9c_m.jpg

Not public but i like them anyway.
3682126371_bef471fdee_m.jpg

I, too, like to photography street lights.....when I'm in Europe! :tongue:

Not so much in the States.

Very nice work.
I'd like to see the light featured in shot 2 against a plain background though.

just so you don't feel odd i like them too!

Here a coulpe not as good as yours but well take a look.

3721084961_4a3840c31b_m.jpg

3368977862_95c9f66568_m.jpg

3237205762_cd0d2e3b9c_m.jpg

Not public but i like them anyway.
3682126371_bef471fdee_m.jpg

I agree. Public lamps do make for some interesting shots as part of the foreground or background. I like these :smile:

Thanks for your comments.

Hey Tony: thanks for adding some lamps to the thread!:wink:

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

No problem .... What about Lighthouses do they count

3767023094_24588f26a0_m.jpg

3767033602_f05f51a265_m.jpg

3766203081_9db20520e6_m.jpg

3766238695_80cc0b1981_m.jpg

St Georges Island Fl

No problem .... What about Lighthouses do they count

3767023094_24588f26a0_m.jpg

3767033602_f05f51a265_m.jpg

3766203081_9db20520e6_m.jpg

3766238695_80cc0b1981_m.jpg

St Georges Island Fl

Great idea, but in a different thread...that I'll start within a minute...:cool:

Rui

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom