Some NY Subway Photos

The sky was too nice to say no to. Polarizer yes.

10+R142+approaching+Saratoga+Av+2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

06+R142+approaching+Sutter+Av+2.jpg

21+R143+_amp_+142+Train+Meet+at+Livonia.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Fred

Nice crisp images. Especially #1. When post processing I always have trouble deciding how much contrast to use. You have it nailed from my point of view on this one. Just curious what lens did you use? i.e. is this as sharp as it seems because of the lens or did you just dial into the exact exposure and get the contrast / sharpness right in pp?

Like the composition of Image #3, which I think is emphasized by the use of B&W. There are so many neat things to shoot and yet it's not always easy to find them!

Good eye!

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone!

Fred

Nice crisp images. Especially #1. When post processing I always have trouble deciding how much contrast to use. You have it nailed from my point of view on this one. Just curious what lens did you use? i.e. is this as sharp as it seems because of the lens or did you just dial into the exact exposure and get the contrast / sharpness right in pp?

Like the composition of Image #3, which I think is emphasized by the use of B&W. There are so many neat things to shoot and yet it's not always easy to find them!

Good eye!

Thanks very much, Dan! I shot those with Nikon's 18-200 VR and Tiffen polarizer. I use Photoshop Elements and set my unsharp mask to 0.3 pixel, 100% with 0 threshold. I find it gives the photo a little pop without adding the 'halo' effect. So I guess it's a little of both; I find the 18-200 copy I have to be very good.

All of these are great. #1 really stands out for me though. The combination of the blue sky and overall sharpness of the train and surrounding buildings is outstanding.

Fred,
These are totally awesome......
From one railfan to another.... great job!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Super images......thanks for sharing. Being a New Yorker and riding the subways, it's nice to see a different view. I like the black and white image. Great timing of catching both trains.

You're a brave man Fred! Is that the Mosholu Parkway or Woodlawn Ave. stop? I lived by the Bedford Park stop on the 4 line for 20 years and you would not catch me taking a camera out there in a million years.

When I needed to bring my camera gear anywhere, it would go into a 5 gallon black garbage bag with some loose (clean!) empty soda cans before I got on the train. Nobody would bother me with that bag around my arms!

Ah the good old days, it's been a decade since I moved, I'm sure things have changed!

You're a brave man Fred! Is that the Mosholu Parkway or Woodlawn Ave. stop? I lived by the Bedford Park stop on the 4 line for 20 years and you would not catch me taking a camera out there in a million years.

When I needed to bring my camera gear anywhere, it would go into a 5 gallon black garbage bag with some loose (clean!) empty soda cans before I got on the train. Nobody would bother me with that bag around my arms!

Ah the good old days, it's been a decade since I moved, I'm sure things have changed!

Hehe, even reportedly 'scarier', Pete. That was on the New Lots IRT and the black and white was at Livonia Av on the Canarsie line. Things in the city have improved greatly to which I give the tragedy of 9/11/01 some credit.

Latest threads

Top Bottom