Some of my little friends

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Well updated the D2X firmware last evening and decided to go out front this AM and try my hand with the little birds. Seems as though it focus locks much quicker and the shots do seem a little sharper, but the real test will be on the moving targets. All shot with the D2X and the 200-400VR with SB800 for fill. It was a dark a gloomy morning so I had to sue more flash than I would have liked.
    Tufted titmouse
    [​IMG]
    Female Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    Female Downy Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    Male Cardinal
    [​IMG]
    B.C. Chickadee
    [​IMG]
    Male House Finch
    [​IMG]
    Male Downy Woodpecker
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Jay
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    All very nice Mike. I sure would like to get my hands on one of those 200-400VR's. :rolleyes:

3. So how long do you have to sit out there to get such a wide variety of birds?

4. wonderful as always Mike. I am going to have to break down and get a flash extender. What type of flash bracket do you use. Forgive me if we talked about this before.
    Dave

5. Their cousins are visiting up here !!

In Monmouth County, NJ, that is. We've got the same set of backyard visitors plus quite a few chickadees !!
    Tell me, how many feet away are you from these songbirds when shooting with the 200-400VR ?? These are such terrific birdie portraits. I know you will get some great winter shots of Cardinals in the Snow with your rig.

6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent Mike. I wish I could get shots of those little birds like yours.

7. Wow these are terrific. I am so jealous. I too am interested in how the firmware will help tracking these birdies. Let us know when you get a chance.

8. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Wow Mike these are really sharp and clear
    Bad Light? Wow again .... I updated my Hs last night as well but it rained all day here, so haven't had a chance to try it out, here's hoping!:smile:

9. Well we hook up at Merit and you can give it a whirl to your hearts content

10. Kevin I got most to the shots early in about a hour and then added the two male downys I saw while walking by the front door and then added the blue jay a little later. They come in waves sometimes there will be 30 birds at the 3 feeders

11. Dave
    I shoot the SB800 on the hot-shoe these birds are only 30 feet away so I dont even use the better beamer. just set the flash to ttl/fp and dial in around -1 ev

12. Hey there neighbor, I added a chickadee from this AM's shoot. I love shooting these guys in the snow particularly when it is falling

13. Well I wish I could get shots of those big birds want to swap locales for a week

14. Jim
    Thanks not sure when I will get a chance on animals but am shooting hight football this friday will let you know what I think

15. Thanks Ben I am pleased with the combo of the X and the 200-400 it really rocks, I hope to see increased AF with the X while tracking flying birds

16. WOW that femaile cardinal shot is awesome!! The background really makes the bird pop out from it...

The woodpecker shots are quite nice as well...

Dave Watt: Look at the RRS flash brackets.. They might be a bit pricey, but they work really well.. Easy to install and remove...
    Also, you SHOULD get a Better beamer... They run about $38 or so last time I looked... Works quite nicely.

Set your flash to TTL and dial in a -1.7 for the magic number... I read it somewhere I think from John Shaw or someone about the exposure compensation for wildlife...

17. Gee Mike you never dissapoint with your small birds. I love this series of shots, they all have great detail, color and focus. Way to go.

18. Mike,

These friends of yours belong in a bird book. That is how good they are. In fact, I have a lot of respect for all of the bird shooters. It takes great talent to shoot birds. So my hat's off to Frank, HarryB, Harris, SteveS and all of the ones I am sure I missed.

Thanks for sharing these pictures

19. all really wonderful Mike, I especially like the woodpeckers, they are my favorite group of birds.

20. So this upgrade gave you all these perfect shots of the birds... :biggrin: You have great pictures again. I hear many happy upgraded D2X users. I tried few quick shots indoor that made me feel that the focussing was little bit better.

What great lens the 200-400mm VR is. So if the 28-70mm F/2.8 is the beast. Then i bet that the 200-400mm is called the monster?

So i must look if it is possible for me to rent such a lens one day for a safari trip in a safari park. I think they will not rent it out in my country.

Greetings and thanks for sharing these great photos.

Vince