Some Of My topaz

Did some Topaz and would like any feedback.Thanks for your input

DSC_4081copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_4001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I should warn you first that I'm not a fan of overcooked Topaz photos. That is why I would not normally comment on a thread containing the word Topaz. But you want feedback...

Top photo. Nothing wrong with it as a photo but unfortunately it has been given an exaggerated treatment in Topaz, meaning it no longer looks real. It would be nice to see the original which I suspect would be a good photo.

Second photo. I much prefer this one. The colours actually look OK. The one problem is the ground with those messy tiles. Personally I would Photoshop them out and put something like a simple gravel surface there. It would only take a few minutes and would remove this distracting element. Is the cactus meant to be like that with those bits curling off it?

You see you did it.You gave me feedback and thats what this is all about.I couldn't care less if you sad I was the worst photographer in the world but You Gave Me Feedback and I truly appreciate it,I will take what you said and try to make the apprpriate adjustments.
But I do thank you .Now that didn't hurt did it (lol)

Had I seen this thread when you posted it, I'm not sure if I'd want to give feedback based on the fact that I haven't ever seen much to like coming out of a Topaz shot. I'm not really a fan of most HDR either.

In your first shot, I really dislike what Topaz is doing to the shadows. Is that what is causing the blue grainy halo on the floor, or is that spray paint or something? I just don't see the photo being enhanced in any way with the use of Topaz.

In the second shot, I do like the color and texture of the pot and wall a bit, but it's maybe a little too much as the effect seems to be making the cactus look a bit "off". I also agree with growltiger's comment about the floor. It's distracting.

Doug

You wanted a moderator to check in, here I am. Haven't been around much lately on the board, many bad things going on in life and my energy is being spent elsewhere.

A said above, I too don't like Topaz 99% of the time, so I skip such threads. As such, I think photo #1 is ruined by the post processing. Frankly, it's a picture that I'd convert to b&w to remove the distraction of color.

#2 is ok with the post processing, though I see what looks like a color halo around part of the cactus. The subject itself does nothing for me, I don't see a story, point of interest or anything to hold my eye.

I generally do not make a point to slam other people's work, merely trying to cater to your request for moderator input.

Hey Arnie -

The Retouching forum is not one I usually visit when I have time to stroll around the Café, but since you asked . . .

I find your second more pleasing than the first - and of course, you are the only legitimate judge of what you wanted to achieve.

The second has a bit of a Southwest adobe feel for me, so I can relate to it a bit more because I've visited Taos, Santa Fe, etc. on several occasions, yet the contrast seems severe to my eye.

Take these comments as coming from someone who has limited retouching skills, and no experience with Topaz whatsoever.

hey thanks all for the comments and now that I now on I suck at topaz (only kidding)I have something to work on.thats what my point was to this whole thing.As for you Mod .I didn't really mean anything bywhat I said it was in the heat of the battle and I hope your life does get better as I to have some bad things going on in my life but hey time to move on.
Again people sorry if I offened anyone but as I stated I was just making a point and you all responded.THANKS

Hi Arnie

I like topaz and especially when not overdone.

Neither are overdone but I prefer the more delicate approach of number 2.....

Sorry I did not jump in sooner but I tend to stack up my spare "review others" time but been a bit bogged down.

However, like them both with number 2 as best

Hope you are well

Best wishes

Ray

I don't respond generally to Topaz threads either..... but you have my attention right now!!
#1 is over cooked to me and as Gretchen said could work well in b+w.
#2 is more to my liking, just work more on getting the selective colour around the plant more defined rather than the halo appearance....

my 2 cents, now back to the Adobe Processors forum where I hang out!!:biggrin:

I like topaz and especially when not overdone.

Neither are overdone but I prefer the more delicate approach of number 2.....

Sorry I did not jump in sooner but I tend to stack up my spare "review others" time but been a bit bogged down.

However, like them both with number 2 as best

Hope you are well

Best wishes

Ray

Hey Ray Thanks for your 2 cents.Boy did I open up a can of worms.
How ya doing?I must say that one photo of the old car you touched for me has nothing but great comments.Again Ray THANKS
Happy Easter

I don't respond generally to Topaz threads either..... but you have my attention right now!!
#1 is over cooked to me and as Gretchen said could work well in b+w.
#2 is more to my liking, just work more on getting the selective colour around the plant more defined rather than the halo appearance....

my 2 cents, now back to the Adobe Processors forum where I hang out!!:biggrin:

Kiwi ,now your in for it.Thanks all you know I meant no harm just maybe a little awarness.Happy Easter

Hello,

In my opinion, both could use better composition. The Topaz on the first one is overdone. I see a tire in the background that is blue. I enjoy overly saturated images, but to me it does not seem balanced. For instance if you see the bleed on the tire, it should be other places as well (shadows just above it or near wire cage to the right side), or it does not look balanced and thusly done on purpose. As presented it looks like a mistake, or overly done Topaz adjustment.

That said, I believe that when it comes to people photos like the 1st one above, I enjoy a 2 step approach. A two pass topaz, one for the skin of the person and one for clothes and surroundings. This lets you balance out the image better and provide a place (the skin of the person/people) as an "anchor" to reality. Unless of course one is going for the completely obscure depiction. I might even crop the image so as to really zero in on the artists face/head, the arm and the drawing. That is always subjective though, and does not provide a sense of the artists environment or the simple things used to make himself comfortable like the makeshift chair :) I do believe this could be a good story.

As noted above, the second one is better. Topaz is less overdone, or it appears that way as there is no bleed over and there are no people to suggest that it may be overdone. I like the subject, would love to see more shadow details on the wall behind and a slightly different composition. It is to centered for me. The colors are simple as well, this is a minimalist approach when compared to the photo above in that there are primarily 2 colors (with variation) while the rest remains desaturated in appearance.

The more important thing is to enjoy making photos and to learn, and I think you have done both. Keep up the good work!

like others have said the second one has a southwest feel. it looks like it can make it as piece to hang up, but I would try to replace the flooring.

in the second image, it looks as though everything blends together as one. you look at it and kinda don't know what to focus on. it feels a little on the bright side.

like others have said the second one has a southwest feel. it looks like it can make it as piece to hang up, but I would try to replace the flooring.

in the second image, it looks as though everything blends together as one. you look at it and kinda don't know what to focus on. it feels a little on the bright side.

Hey thanks for the comment,much appreciate it

Real Name
Keith Jalbert
I use TA as well but usually go through the retouching and Topaz photos thread.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder if someone doesnt like HDR or topaz adjust who cares. Shoot I had an HDR published in a calendar and I have had just normal shots published as well... Its all in what people like all of us are different and some not as open minded as others.. Dont mean to babble just got laid off Friday and have time to linger in cafe.. Keep up the good work and like your shots

I use TA as well but usually go through the retouching and Topaz photos thread.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder if someone doesnt like HDR or topaz adjust who cares. Shoot I had an HDR published in a calendar and I have had just normal shots published as well... Its all in what people like all of us are different and some not as open minded as others.. Dont mean to babble just got laid off Friday and have time to linger in cafe.. Keep up the good work and like your shots

Thanks Keith and good luck in the job mkt

I really dont have a clue why you want any one to comment a cactus if you have pictures like this in your collection.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3443/...0a047585_b.jpg

Sorry

+1. I didn't comment originally because I couldn't say anything nice about the cactus. On the other hand, that house that is linked is great.

I'd like to see the other photo with the artist redone without Topaz, or a less intrusive effect.

Nothing wrong with it as a photo but unfortunately it has been given an exaggerated treatment in Topaz, meaning it no longer looks real.

Interesting. When I over cook Topaz on purpose that's exactly why I do it....so it doesn't look real. :biggrin: So many different tastes out there....likes and dislikes. The ones who amuse me are the ones who think everyone who doesn't like what they like are wrong.....:confused:

I take the view that the OP was/is asking for crits on a TOPAZ image.

It's a bit like the categorizations that you see in International Competitions where pictures of birds for instance can be entered in two or more categories - Open and Nature.

Different "rules" are applied in the judging.

In this case when comparing with other TOPAZ images both stand up very favourably. I like the first more than the second. I think it's a bit unfair to speculate whether it would be better as a non-Topaz image when it was offered as a Topaz image.

DG

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom