Some of you might laugh at this.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. The Head of Entomology at the Natural History Museum in London has named some species of SLIME BEETLE after---George W Bush: **** Cheney and Donald Rumsfield. Unfortuneately he ommited Tony Blair and Jack Straw.

BW. Bob F.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. I had some correspondence with Bob about that since I know the authors quite well (studying the same subject - in the wider sense). All species are of the genus Agathidium (Family Leiodidae - slime mould beetles). The sad thing is that the authors did not dedicate the species to the respective persons referring to the common name of the family but to recognize their "meritorious" deeds in US and world policy.

I have myself named about 200 new species so far and sometimes I feel obliged to dedicate a species to a renowned person (e.g. Tolkien) but it would never come to my mind to waste a new species by naming it after a politician. When I name a species after a person I usually honor the collector of the specimens on which I base the description.

Sometimes etymologies are a mirror of the time - in our museum we have the type specimens of a beetle named "Anophthalmus hitleri" (a blind cave-dwelling ground beetle, described in 1938 [sic!]).

Anyway, entomologists (taxonomists in particular) are a strange folk (me included :lol: )

Cheers

4. Harry has told you a lot more than I could have. The information was in a small piece in the Daily Telegraph.

BW. Bob F.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. Hi Paul. Harry has been edificating me also about beetles. Something I know nothing whatsoever about.

Harry says that there are 400.000 described beetles and that they inhabit vastly different habitats. Land-underground-ice-water and just a few can live in tidal pools, otherwise the sea is not a known habitat.

Now, those people who study beetles must be a very unique group for Harry has recently married a lady who also studies beetles. So the mind boggles at their dinner table conversation. I think that he had to go all the way to Canada to find such a unique lady. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BW. Bob F.

7. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Politics?

Press release from Cornell, where the Dr. Wheeler was a professor and member of the US Dept or Science etc etc etc.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/April05/slime-mold.Bush.Cheney.ssl.html

Whether or not I have my doubts that this is just an honor to the people mentioned I don't want this to end up a bash Bush Administration, or Tony Blair bashing, or any other political commentary. One of the missions of the cafe was to not let our political viewpoints cloud our love for photography or our friendships with each other.

Thanks,

8. Re: Politics?

Patrick, thanks for the reminder! But I think it is a token of the healthy attitude of this forum that this thread did not evolve into a bashing and insulting barrage like it happens in other fora.

Cheers

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Thanks guys and I'm so excited about Harry's other post!

11. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Why would anyone name a Volkswagen after President Bush? :lol:
    Jarrell