Some "ok" shots from Bear Point

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    I found that shooting Harris's 300 f4+TC1.4 handheld @420mm was fairly difficult for me to get critically sharp shots many times. I'm A, used to shooting VR when handholding a long tele, and B, used to shooting from a tripod when approaching this focal length, and C, trying to get used to shooting full Manual. I keep forgetting that the rear command wheel is for the shutter speed in Manual, and to do Exp Comp, you must 1st hold down the +/- button, THEN turn the rear wheel for Exp Comp. :confused: Screwed up a few times there.
    These are some of the better ones I managed to salvage. Besides that, Harris walked my arse off! :wink:
    These are @420mm:
    original.
    original.
    original.
    These were with my 70-200VR +TC17 @340mm
    original.
    original.
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ain't nothin wrong with any of them. quit yer bitchin.

all beautiful shots

Manual don't need to use plus and minus ev
    Use speed and Apature :>)))

You set them as you want them.
    Speed in front or in back :)))

3. Steve nothing wrong with these throw that setup on a monopod with a small little ball-head and you have the greatest lightweight portable around.
    Great shots love the dual blue herons

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Gale, but I beg to differ madam. If you want an EXACT shutter speed and an EXACT aperture opening, then in order to fine tune the exp, you gotta use Exp Comp just like if you were using Aperture or Shutter Priority. If I'm wrong, then somebody prove me wrong! :biggrin:

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ask Flewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

He tought me.

6. Steve,

They are all nice pictures. It takes skill to get a picture of a bird in flight.

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Steve,

Sorry but I have to agree with Gale, unless you are shooting with auto-ISO (which you may well be doing). If you are shooting auto-ISO, then you really aren't shooting manual mode. You are using the camera metering system just as much as if you were shooting A or S, the difference being that the metering adjusts the ISO instead of the aperture or shutter speed. To shoot totally manual, you need to turn auto-ISO off, and use the shutter speed and aperture settings to control the exposure.

Whew!! Having said all of that, these are very good shots, in spite of your statements to the contrary. Most folks here would be very happy with these. :smile:

On the subject of your, uh, 'conditioning', I've instructed Harry to work your *** off. You can't count on getting that ultimate shot if you are gasping for breath. A nicer person would give you a break on this, but nobody has ever accused me of being nice. :biggrin:

8. Steve
    I dont believe EV comp has any effect when using the manual settings

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yes, I was shooting in Auto ISO Frank. Now, if the Exp Comp dial doesn't do anything, how do you explain the ability to control blown highlights using the Exp Comp?

10. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    That just can't be. Explain why then, does the over/under exp indicator even move when you rotate the dial in M mode?

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    If you are shooting auto-ISO, EV comp does affect the exposure, just as if you were shooting S or A. As I said previously, shooting M with auto-ISO isn't really shooting manual; it's just a different way of using the camera's metering.

To me, shooting auto-ISO is better than the other modes that use metering, because at least in this mode, you control both the shutter and aperture. This is especially true with the Hs, since it limits the max ISO to 800. To me, other than the improved noise in the D2Hs, this is one of the biggest advantages of this upgrade to the plain D2H. :smile:

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hmm, my Hs regularly went to ISO 1600 in Auto ISO.

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, I don't have one, so I just assumed that it was the same as the D2X (same electronics). Still though, this just illustrates what I said earlier. EV comp works in M mode with auto-ISO, because the camera's metering system is still being used.

14. Steve
    I ddi not realize you were using ISO if you shoot straight M mode the EV comp does not work at all

15. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Steve
    1st nice shots all like the reddish egrets (comp is pleasing)

2nd you were using my exact setup!! love it
    two things I do different maybe it will help you:
    a. I use Monopod 95% of time, so much so I feel naked without it :smile:
    b. I forget the custom # but you can set it so you only have to turn wheel without pressing +/- button 1st, makes it easy to adjust EV.
    I also rarely use ISO auto and set ISO in connection with my shutter speed i.e. shutter speed starts to fall below what I like I raise ISO

Hope that helps a little

16. Steve, these are really nice and I really like the osprey. Ours have gone for the winter.

17. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, thanks for the explanation Frank, I finally understand what you're saying. Well, apparently, the X & the H don't have entirely the same electronics! :wink:

18. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Ben, and I DO have that csm feature turned on, but it's just that in M mode, your rear wheel is for adjusting the shutter speed, unless you press & hold the +/- button, then you can guse the rear wheel for exp comp. Being so used to A priority, I accedentky rotated the rear wheel many times, thinking I was doing an ev comp, but was actually messing wwith the shutter speed.

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks James, those were my very 1st Osprey shots. Was quite a thrill!

20. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, thanks Mike, I think it's finally sinking in now!:confused: